Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receipts after work has been done but none is given???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:56 AM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Parts and labor doesnt seem to far off for what you had done. His bill could be a bit more organized though

Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
You are not due nor would he be required to show you receipts for work he subbed out. The difference between what he paid & what he is charging you is his profit margin & that is nobody's business but his own. The only thing you need to be concerned about is the bottom line that he is charging you...ie his handwritten invoice. He is correct and has every right to be miffed if you push it...this is standard business practice. Liken it to expecting to see the invoice that your grocery store paid for the loaf of bread it sells you. Same deal.
To me, asking for a receipt for all work done, including work that was subbed out, is reasonable and absolutely expected by me. Body shops and auto repair shops routinely sub out work, and the 'retail' charges shows up on the final customer receipt. I don't see that the OP is asking to know the 'wholesale' cost of subbed out work, just a receipt showing the 'cost' of that work, by way of retail prices, that acknowledges are work and costs.

As far as paying cash, I feel that shop should have told you that upfront BEFORE the work was done. Since that is not the norm in business today (checks, credit cards and debit card transactions is pretty common on higher priced services and goods) the shop has the responsibility to notify you of this requirement, and not that 'you should have asked'. In California, signs must be posted if they don't take checks or credit cards. I would have told him sorry you didn't specify that up front, here's my credit card. (Which affords me some additional legal protections through my bank for unsatisfactory work.)

Sounds a little shady to me: cheating on income for tax purposes? Hiding cash income due to a judgement? Cash-flow problems? Just his personal way of doing business? Who knows, and it's his shop, but not taking certain types of payment should have been disclosed before work commenced. Even risking insulting him, I'd rather take my money somewhere else if he is upset based on your request. This is the same guy that, for unknown reasons to you, you go to pick up your bike and the bank or feds have seized his shop, and everything in it, including your bike, is seized. I know, since years ago I actually had this happen at a body shop. Took about a month and a half for me to get my truck out... and that body shop didn't exactly give me a free loaner car.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 04-28-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you gonna adjust your insurance coverage to note the upgrades?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

The paper is rather difficult to see but it seems like the individual provided you with a hand written invoice/receipt.
Is the invoice/receipt close to the amount discussed before the work?
Most independent mechanics i have observed work in a similar fashion and do not provide the client a book stapled with individual receipts.
Never seen that in a major dealer either.
Reason: there is a back-end profit on parts.
Shops sometimes get parts at a discount and then they charge the customer at retail or near retail. For example a part that retails for $200 might be acquired for $160 and then they invoice it as $190 or maybe $200.The parts present a profit. When customers bring their own parts, it eats at that profit. Most indy shops "know" their parts cost when they provide a price quote.
That is one reason an indy can be less expensive.
The only time i have seen someone get a stapled stack of receipts is when the service was from a shade tree/ home garage type of situation.
If this was a licensed shop i could understand the mechanic getting a little insulted.
Think about it for a moment...If the mechanic had a huge warehouse stocked with everything imaginable he would give you the same shop receipt.
It reads like you are not feeling good about the situation and are concerned about the cost and services performed.
The cash thing is rather obvious unless there is some sign of some sort.

Last edited by im; 04-28-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

I went back and looked at the invoice...it's fine! It looks like the vast majority of the receipts I have gotten for parts & labor over the years...to this day. Most of the independents seem to prefer hand printed forms over fine, computer - generated documents. After all, one of the reasons we use independents is to save money.

If you are more comfortable with a nice pretty receipt, I suggest you go to the dealership for all future work. Perhaps they would be happy to provide you with the receipts for the parts they bought to resell to you. I will guarantee you that there will be a big difference between their margin and your independent ' margin!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

I see an itemized list. I provide an itemized list from my computer program with parts oil, etc. I do not provide the invoices that I pay my vendors for the parts used. That's the part of hiring a shop. When you go to the market do you ask for their invoice for the can of beans that you purchased from them?

If you wanted to know the exact cost of parts you could have supplied them. But he did and he ran around getting them, or spent the time online doing the same, if he makes a few bucks on the parts, that's part of being in business

I see nothing wrong with his handwritten invoice. Maybe not the most professional but he gave you one. I do see a problem with requiring cash.

Maybe you should not tell everything to your soon to be wife

Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing wrong with that receipt as far as insurance is concerned.

What is wrong is him not accepting a check. That's for "tax evasion" purposes.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

If he is not accepting checks and only cash then there could be a whole lot wrong with this transaction. You pay cash and you have no record of the work being done, plus he gets off without paying any taxes and you and I get to pay more. I would find a different mechanic, this guy seems like a real idiot. Hell, I could write down all that stuff and said I did the work.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:10 PM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

More importantly, throw up a pic of the completed scoot. Id like to see the powder coated forks.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:15 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,180 Likes on 4,391 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
Nothing wrong with that receipt as far as insurance is concerned.

What is wrong is him not accepting a check. That's for "tax evasion" purposes.
Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
If he is not accepting checks and only cash then there could be a whole lot wrong with this transaction. You pay cash and you have no record of the work being done, plus he gets off without paying any taxes and you and I get to pay more. I would find a different mechanic
I agree with the above... this guy is shady!

He's got something going on that he's trying to hide income from. Credibility is credibility... if he's not going to handle all his affairs above board, what makes you think he'll all of a sudden step-up for you, if you have a problem. If push comes to shove, you'll be the next one he is "hiding" something from. I'd find another mechanic for future projects..

As for his receipt... that's all you're gonna get! There isn't a business out there that will let you dictate what their receipt should look like, nor will they show you receipts for parts they supplied (it's called mark-up)....

Hope you enjoy the mods and his work... chalk it up as a learning experience.

Quick Reply: Receipts after work has been done but none is given???