Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long ride with passanger on street glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014 | 10:35 AM
CalypsoNotch93
|
Road Master
Default First long ride with passanger on street glide

Rode down to OBX bike week this weekend and took the gf with me. I have a 2011 street glide with the factory seat no backrest. We rode 600 miles altogether. After 150 miles she was hurting. On the way back I had to stop every 40-60 miles so she could get off. I was fine but I could see myself wanting a backrest for anything over 300 miles in one day. Question is if I was to add a backrest would it take her pain away or do I really need to invest in a better seat AND backrest for long rides with her?

If so, which seat and backrest? Don't want to spend a bunch of money but I need something that works.

Thanks

Old 04-28-2014 | 10:39 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

A back rest is good to have for a passenger, as far as seats I went with an HD ultra low seat , no more complaints from the wife.

Old 04-28-2014 | 10:53 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior

If you want her to ride with you then get a nice touring seat. I got a Harley Hammock seat and a big backrest for when she decides to take a ride with me.
I use my stock seat when I'm by myself.

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:20 AM
5point56
Cruiser

I added the removable passenger back rest and I got an Ultra seat from someone here on the forum. Wife is happy now.

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:26 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

Buy her a backrest (removable) and go with the seat like it is. No matter what seat you end up with, she won't be happy without the backrest! I graduated from a sissy bar / luggage rack to a tourpak with wrap around backrest and passenger arm rests. My wife's throne is complete, storage and all, and she couldn't be happier!

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:29 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blackness03
... I could see myself wanting a backrest for anything over 300 miles in one day.
....... anything over 50 miles

do I really need to invest in a better seat AND backrest for long rides with her?
...... yes AND yes

If so, which seat and backrest?
...... lots of take off Ultra saddles on ebay

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:43 AM
hawkeyestoob
Cruiser

I had the same issue with my 08 SG and my wife with the stock seat. The seat looks great on the bike but there is just not much support for either of you with it. I tried an Ultra seat as some have suggested here but ultimately went with a Sundowner like this here. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...16-5163009a--1

We were both very happy with it for the time I had my SG. It was on my bike for most of one summer before I traded it in on an '11 RGU. That seat went to Mean City to be reworked and now she has a couch back there!

I still have the Sundowner seat in my basement and would be willing to sell it if you are interested. It is like new with no rips or marks of any kind on it. PM me and I can send you some pictures if you want to take a look at it.

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:44 AM
CRocks
Road Master

I'm surprised any women ride the back of an SG w/o a backrest. Love the sleek look of the OEM seat, but the passenger is damned near fallin off before you let the clutch out. I'd start with the backrest FOR SURE + poss new seat in the future. My GF falls to sleep with the QD tourpak.

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:47 AM
casique
Road Warrior

I use a two piece Mustang seat. The solo most of the time - I ride alone mostly. And I add the big passenger seat and back rest when she rides.

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Lightbulb

You can have as many seats for your bike as you fancy, however if you have to ask US if you should buy your poor gf a decent seat, then shame on you! Get HER the comfiest plushest cosiest seat you can find, regardless of expense, plus a matching backrest. YOU can sit on nails if you like, but.......

Let us know when you've got that sorted, then we can guide you through getting some decent shocks!

Quick Reply: First long ride with passanger on street glide