Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long ride with passanger on street glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

I've got a better idea - ask a friend to take you out for a 600 mile ride on the back of his SG, with stock seat. You can do that in a day if you get up early.......

Last edited by grbrown; 04-28-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2014 | 12:16 PM
CRocks
Road Master

On a previous bike, had a GF ask me why I had a nice big plush seat + she had to ride on a little pillion? My explanation, "cuz you ain't got a damned dime in this bike, that's why". Did I mention this was an ex GF

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:25 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain

A better seat and a backrest will make a huge difference to keep her happy on longer trips. The backrest alone will give her more stability so she doesn't feel like she's going to fall off. You can try something like a Sundowner seat which has a wider plusher passenger seat and a detachable backrest. Most the dealers have the demo seats now so you try it before you buy it.

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:25 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CRocks
I'm surprised any women ride the back of an SG w/o a backrest.
That was MY thought too. I'm not sure what OP was thinking, but when I see ANY woman on the back of a bike without a passenger backrest, I just don't get it. It's one thing if she's just getting a short, unexpected ride or something like that. However, to plan a long ride and not even consider her comfort or safety is just ludacris.

The quickest/easiest way to f*ck up a great day of riding, is by not making sure the OL is comfortable & happy. I have a Sundowner seat w/sheepskin pad, a big backrest, and passenger floorboards with adjustable footrests. That's not to say that a woman won't find something else to get bitchy about, but at least I know it won't be because she's uncomfortable in the saddle.

BTW, I consider my rider back to be the best aftermarket purchase I've made. It makes a HUGE difference in my comfort and ability to go the long haul.

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:30 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

Stock Street Glide seat is great for the rider, terrible for passenger. It is designed for looks, not for comfort.

You must have a different seat and backrest or she will be miserable.

You can pick up used stuff on this forum or elsewhere to keep it budget friendly, but will still cost you some $.

Take her to a dealership where she can sit on a bunch of seats, and listen to her comments. She will want the plushest seat she can find, but they can be ugly and expensive.

No matter what seat you choose, you will also need a 4 point mounting bracket to attach the backrest. Allows the sissy bar or tour pack to clip on and off in less than a minute.

When I was in your shoes, I also realized that She will want to bring along her stuff on longer rides, so I ordered a $99 Mutazu tour pack. Looks just right on a Street Glide. It has the back rest built in and provides additional storage space just for her use. She loves the comfort and convinence. When I am alone on the bike I hang the tour pack on the garage wall, and put back on the cooler looking stock seat. Win-Win.

Many end up with the Harley Sundowner seat or Hammock. You can try them out for free at most dealerships so you will know before you spend the money that She has bought off on the seat. That way she will be reluctant to complain any more. Again these are available used for the budget.

Having a happy lady along on a trip can make everything go much smoother. If she is uncomfortable, believe that she will make you uncomfortable too : >)

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:31 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
If you want her to ride with you then get a nice touring seat. I got a Harley Hammock seat and a big backrest for when she decides to take a ride with me.
I use my stock seat when I'm by myself.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/image...icon_ditto.gif

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:34 PM
r1cochet
Tourer

Maybe some footboards also?

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:34 PM
CalypsoNotch93
|
Road Master

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to go with either the ultra or sundowner. Backrest is coming this week. Is there a better year ultra seat to look for or are they all the same?

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:46 PM
CalypsoNotch93
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown

Let us know when you've got that sorted, then we can guide you through getting some decent shocks!

That's another thing! I'm 200lbs and even with just me on it every bump in the road feels like it bottoms out the shocks. My old street bike rode better when it comes to that.

Old 04-28-2014 | 01:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blackness03
That's another thing! I'm 200lbs and even with just me on it every bump in the road feels like it bottoms out the shocks. My old street bike rode better when it comes to that.
Your bike has shorter shocks than most of the other Touring bikes, so you are giving away an inch of travel, on a pair of shocks that many of us would happily throw away. H-D now offer 'premium hand-adjustable shocks' which are worth considering, or we can offer HDF sponsors who are experts in the field. Mrs B and I haven't bottomed out once since we got our custom-built Ohlins, a few years ago, despite loading our bike to the gunnels on occasions!

Quick Reply: First long ride with passanger on street glide