Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust pop after dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:52 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by FastBagger07
Check for exhaust leaks.
Good start.
Also depends on your definition of "Pop".
With performance upgrades, things change.
With my upgrades and dyno, Mine has a ton of growl and some "Gurgle" that it did not have before, they say it is to be expected. One of the techs that I trust test rode mine a couple of weeks ago after getting a new front tire and front brakes installed. I asked him about the decal difference. He said all is fine and normal - followed by "That wicked bastard snorts and runs like a damned raped ape!"
Power Duals, SEAC with Stage One, SERT, RC Xhaust, SE255's, all contribute to the transformation from Bike to Beast!
(Not to mention shorter rear tire life, LOL)

Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't know if this applies to your situation but after mine was built to a 107" and dyno tuned I had some very loud popping between shifts. Eventually I figured out that if I made sure I was closing the throttle completely when shifting I got no pops. But when going through the gears quickly and not closing the throttle completely between gears then it would blast off some rip snorters. I find better throttle control to be an adequate no cost solution to the popping in my case. Maybe it would help your situation....?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:00 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Did it pop on the way home from the dyno tune?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Power Vision also but have not had a dyno tune done, just the base map from FuelMoto and some auto tune runs. I also get some popping but bike seems to run very good otherwise. I have the FullSac Sport pipe header, SE breather and recored mufflers. I have checked for exhaust leak using both the candle flame and the smoke method but have found nothing ? I just ride it and don't worry about the occasional pop. If it's in the tune, I don't have the knowledge to tune it out. Too much $$ right now for a dyno tune ! Let us know what the dyno tuner ends up doing to remove it...

Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
The tune was performed by Valley Racing out of Beecher, Illinois... I will have to give them a call but yes this should of been addressed prior to releasing the bike...
They are a very reputable shop and tuner. I would let them know of your issue. Should be an easy fix.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 531 Posts

with a modified muffler(like completely open) it will grumble even with a good tune. and yes valley was the guy for dragos b4 they got their own dyno.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
No It is NOT normal..You paid good money to have it tuned bring it back and make them fix it. The bike is probally lean in the decell area.
correct

Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 PM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your exhaust flange bolts. Mine were loose allowing oxygen into the pipes that caused combustion/pops.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks everyone~ This forum ROCKS!~

Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If it didn't do it right away then it's on you. If it did it right away and you didn't bring it to Valley's attention well then it's up to them on how to handle it as you really should have told them right away that you had issues. They can't fix something they didn't know was not right. Coming back 6 months after a tune was done and saying it doesn't run right is kinda weak. If they find a mechanical reason this is happening they have EVERY right to charge you for all diagnosis time and repair charges.

Quick Reply: Exhaust pop after dyno?