Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbin close or reg solo???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007 | 12:36 AM
SGChick
Tourer
Default RE: Corbin close or reg solo???

Harley0711,

Yes, I had a ride in appt. I had mentioned a corbin close solo when I made the appointment...so I guess that's what it is. It's been great so far!!

Old 03-29-2007 | 12:43 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ricks

Thanks for all the great advice. Seems like a no brainer. I will make an appointment and have the excuse to take a great ride down to Hollister. I appreciate all the help that this site provides.

thanks, rick
Be sure to post your experence and how you like the seat. As SGChick said - you pick the basic seat and then they build it just the way you want... I never mentioned a "Close" being 5'6" we just made it fit my legs/arms...

Old 03-29-2007 | 12:46 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I'm also 5'10" w/30" inseam and I used both on my '96 RK, although this may be irrelevant since it is a different frame and seat model. The '96 and earlier seats won't fit '97 and later, and vice versa. I bought the Classic Solo first, and although it was very comfortable, it was just a bit too far back (2" more than stock). When using the backrest (all long trips) the handlebars were a tad too far away. Rather than deal with this problem with a handlebar swap, I ordered a Close Solo, which was more like stock. This positioned me perfectly, but unlike the original seat this one was very uncomfortable. I complained to Corbin and they had me send it back to them for a remake, after which time it was more comfortable, but still not quite as comfy as the original. I used that seat from 2000 to 2007 when I traded the RK in. I went with Mustang on the new SG (#79100 w/backrest, no pillion).

Old 03-29-2007 | 01:26 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: iclick

I'm also 5'10" w/30" inseam and I used both on my '96 RK, although this may be irrelevant since it is a different frame and seat model. The '96 and earlier seats won't fit '97 and later, and vice versa. I bought the Classic Solo first, and although it was very comfortable, it was just a bit too far back (2" more than stock). When using the backrest (all long trips) the handlebars were a tad too far away. Rather than deal with this problem with a handlebar swap, I ordered a Close Solo, which was more like stock. This positioned me perfectly, but unlike the original seat this one was very uncomfortable. I complained to Corbin and they had me send it back to them for a remake, after which time it was more comfortable, but still not quite as comfy as the original. I used that seat from 2000 to 2007 when I traded the RK in. I went with Mustang on the new SG (#79100 w/backrest, no pillion).
This is exactly what I mean by "hit and miss" on mail order with Corbin and most riders are stuck with this option - Had you been close enough for a "ride in app" - you would have Not left the Corbin factory until the seat was just right for You -

Old 03-29-2007 | 01:44 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

im in the market for a solo seat......but im 6'3 with a 36inch inseam... and live really far from corbin..... any advice?

Old 03-29-2007 | 10:49 AM
HogBack
Road Master

The good news is your have found the right seat..Corbin. Be sure to get the Corbin Solo Classic and not the Hollywood as it has a slot for the backrest.

Old 04-15-2007 | 06:58 PM
pepper13
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: hotpursuit

im in the market for a solo seat......but im 6'3 with a 36inch inseam... and live really far from corbin..... any advice?
To answer the original thread first, the close solo is usually used in cases where the rider is 5'6" or less. as for being tall, Corbin can shave a seat back further to give you more leg room, it just depends on which seat model how far back we can go.

Pepper, Tech Rep, Corbin Saddles

Old 04-15-2007 | 07:15 PM
RanD
Tourer

I had the 'regular' Corbin on an '03 RKC and ended up putting reduced reach h-bars on in order to get it dialed in. The Kury 'Brawny Bars' worked perfecty as they brought the handgrips 2 1/2" closer to me. I'm 5'10".

Old 04-15-2007 | 10:33 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pepper13

To answer the original thread first, the close solo is usually used in cases where the rider is 5'6" or less. as for being tall, Corbin can shave a seat back further to give you more leg room, it just depends on which seat model how far back we can go.

I see you are in FL - Why doesn't Corbin have the "ride in app" like Hollister????

Old 04-16-2007 | 02:52 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: pepper13

Hey Pepper.... im the guy from Pittsburgh that has a classic showing up on wednesday....i will let ya know how she feels and if we need to add height to it...thanks....

btw, i spent at least an hour on the phone between JR and Pepper, those guys are real cool and spent alot of time answering my hundreds of questions....