Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight adjustment on 2000 Roadie

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:21 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headlight adjustment on 2000 Roadie

I have put an 18" wheel on my Fugly, and I noticed that the headlight low beam wasn't shinning on the road properly. Didn't think that going from a 16"-18" wheel would make that much of a difference. Upon further investigation, I found that the top adjusting or mounting stud on the headlight is loose, the nut or whatever secures it to the fairing is missing, so that the headlight can wiggle around and point downward, more than it should. Question for those of you with older bikes:
1: do I need to pull the fairing off. I can't see another way to get behind the outer fairing to re-attach a nut or fastener.
2: if I have the outer fairing off, how much should I tighten the top adjustment screw? Do I loosen the 2 bottom adjusting screws so that I can align the headlight later.
Looking for any advice on how to do it. It looks like there are 3 adjusting screws, one up top, two at the bottom.
Thanks for any input.

Scot

Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

1- Yes you need to remove the outer fairing. I am assuming the plastic nut/fairing retainer is what you think is missing. It might just have unsnapped itself, but again you will need to take fairing off to investigate. It is plastic so it could have just broken with age.

2- You adjust the headlights with the two bottom screws. After you put the fairing back together, there are two holes in the inner fairing down low, one on each side of the frame neck. You stick a deep socket in there (sorry no size) and adjust the screws, equal turns on both sides like adjusting the rear axel. Actually pretty easy once you know how to do it. That will move the assembly in or out which in turn raises or lowers the headlight beam.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:19 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Architect
1- Yes you need to remove the outer fairing. I am assuming the plastic nut/fairing retainer is what you think is missing. It might just have unsnapped itself, but again you will need to take fairing off to investigate. It is plastic so it could have just broken with age.

2- You adjust the headlights with the two bottom screws. After you put the fairing back together, there are two holes in the inner fairing down low, one on each side of the frame neck. You stick a deep socket in there (sorry no size) and adjust the screws, equal turns on both sides like adjusting the rear axel. Actually pretty easy once you know how to do it. That will move the assembly in or out which in turn raises or lowers the headlight beam.
Thanks for the input. Any idea of how much adjustment on the top adjuster?