Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:44 PM
gkbailey78
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trade in question

I am looking into trading my 04 Fatboy in for a new SGS soon. Yesterday, I went and rode to my dealer that I purchased my Fatboy from 10 years ago to start the discussion. The sales guy, whom I've never seen before yesterday, quoted a much lower trade in than KBB shows. My bike has 31K miles and is in immaculate condition. I routinely get compliments and the thing runs great. After all the additions I've put on it, I'm not expecting to get it back. However, I do expect to get the upper limit of the book value.

My question is for those who've traded before. The sales guy used NADA for his quote. Is there typically a big difference between NADA and KBB. I'm not expecting miracles, but just a fair deal. What are your thoughts?

Old 04-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NADA and KBB should be close.
You should be able to get at least 25% more selling it private party if you have the time and patience.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:53 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck getting KBB from a dealer. They want to make sure they make a good profit when they sell it. Selling privately is the best thing if you have the time and patience.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:57 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Take your time and sell it outright. The dealer is going to stick it to you big time.....and won't even kiss you first!!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:00 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

As previously stated you will get more selling it yourself. However, if that is not for you then don't get hung up on book values for your bike or theirs. Tell the salesman the only number you are interested in is the out the door number after you trade and they lower their list price. Personally, I would take fifty cents for my trade in if they will take one dollar for theirs.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM
mabhd06
Advanced

I agree the best way to get KBB value or close is to sell to a private party. If you don't have the time or patience try another dealer. I got 2500.00 more by riding an extra 55 miles from home.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:02 PM
lakedrum03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagged Out
NADA and KBB should be close.
You should be able to get at least 25% more selling it private party if you have the time and patience.

Done that on my last 2 bikes.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 PM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just posted this on another topic:

"I had the same problem four years ago. I owned a 2000 Fatboy with 95" BB kit and misc. accessories. I was going to trade it in on a used 2009 Heritage. I told the salesman/ manager/ owner that I needed 10k for the bike. They wouldn't do it so I walked away.

A year later I went back to the same dealership this time looking at a new 2010 Streetglide and once again told them I need 10k for my bike. It was the end of production year and I said I don't care how you work the numbers but bottom line I want to see 10k on trade in (also saved $600.00 in taxes). Needless to say, they did it to make the sale. If memory serves me correctly I got the bike for 19k and some change with 10k trade in. By the weekend the posted it on Ebay and wholesaled it for 7500.00."

I also had extras including $3500.00 in engine performance work done. I don't think dealers care or are interested in the extras and detail that we take into maintaining our rides. Unfortunately, they try to get you on both ends when it comes to trade in and buying a new bike. They want to make money on both ends.

I would come up with a fair market value for your bike in your mind for example:

2004 Fatboy

Trade-in $7420.00
Retail $10,125.00

I would say $8500.00 would be fair for trade in value. They can play the numbers game buying the new SGS especially if you have your title in hand. it will also help if you see a bike in their inventory in the dealership. If they don't then walk away and make calls to other dealerships.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:18 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior

It's always fun to sell it to an individual and arrange for the HD dealership to finance it for the new buyer....wink at the sales folk and tell them, "i'm better at this than your are". HD rider to rider financing.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I think KBB is a joke. Most dealers use NADA. Have him show you where he is getting his numbers. If he won't show you, leave and find another dealer. My dealer will pull his Black Book out right in front of me and show me the numbers.

Quick Reply: Trade in question