Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 PM
gkbailey78
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to sell it privately, but have only had a few inquiries on it so I'm tired of waiting. I'm looking for something in the $8000-8500 range. If they'll hit that and maintain the $23500 OTD price quoted earlier, it's a done deal. As some have already mentioned, I'm really only concerned with the differential. I dont really care how they manage their books on the deal. If they can't honor it, I'll shop around. I would like to buy at this place again because they have a great service dept and its pretty convenient to where I work.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:07 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
As previously stated you will get more selling it yourself. However, if that is not for you then don't get hung up on book values for your bike or theirs. Tell the salesman the only number you are interested in is the out the door number after you trade and they lower their list price. Personally, I would take fifty cents for my trade in if they will take one dollar for theirs.

The trade in value tends to be a personal thing when you are dealing with the salesman........but in the end it's all about what you pay for the bike when the deal is done.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 PM
TennKID
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely agree with you!! I tried to sell mine for 8 months and got tired of waiting. Dealer actually gave me $1500 more on trade in than I was hoping to sell it for, which took even more off in tax. Paid msrp and all fees but in the end came away thinking I got good deal and that was all that mattered to me. Good luck!!!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seeing your in bristol, give smokey mountain harley a call in maryville, TN they are awesome to deal with and traded my fatboy there few yrs ago. they wanted to give me $7500 and sell my my SG for $21200 and i got $10k for it and SG for $20000. my step dad did a similar deal on a CVO and they gave him well over book. i traded my SG in aug and the gave me over $19000 for it. they are more worried about sales numbers than the profit. sales manager (Shane) told me that straight out. after the deal while we having lunch on him.

chuck is there chrome and parts guru, he'll help you with anything you want added to the bike at purchace, and they will give yo uadditional discounts if you try hard enough. i got 30% off that day and 20% off for a year

Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 PM
sfvas
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike was only $5300 KBB retail and I ended up going to dealers offering me from $4300 to around $5500. I then went to a Harley Custom shop that sells bikes and they gave me $6,000 cash for a 1997 Dyna - I took the cash and bought a 14 SGS for it. The shop then turned around and 4 weeks later sold it for $7900.

I had it on CL and cycle trader with nothing I wanted to waste my time with. So you might want to try that. Oh... the 14 SGS is freakin' SWEET! I love the ride.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 PM
TennKID
Cruiser

Slammed,
You are right. That's where I just got my SGS, smoky mountain in maryville, great people to work with and really gave me a great deal. Had a great experience

Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Generally speaking don't expect more than trade in book value for your trade. Dealers can juggle numbers anyway they want and make you think you're getting the deal of a lifetime. They'll give you more on trade and less off the msrp and vice versa. Of course there are occasionally exceptions to the rule. What dealers actually pay for their new bikes is probably a more guarded secret than the nuclear launch codes. Dealers have a Huge advantage when selling used bikes and can turn most of them around a lot faster than sold privately. I once was negotiating a deal on a new bike and the first thing the sales person did was pull out the NADA motorcycle book and start quoting trade in values. I said if your going to go by the book, I'll take the trade in value if you sell me that used Ultra for book retail that you have over there asking over $3,000 over book retail. After all "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" Suddenly he didn't like that idea. He knew I knew he was full of crap. I ended up walking.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:59 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by J_ULTRA
Generally speaking don't expect more than trade in book value for your trade. Dealers can juggle numbers anyway they want and make you think you're getting the deal of a lifetime. They'll give you more on trade and less off the msrp and vice versa. Of course there are occasionally exceptions to the rule. What dealers actually pay for their new bikes is probably a more guarded secret than the nuclear launch codes. Dealers have a Huge advantage when selling used bikes and can turn most of them around a lot faster than sold privately. I once was negotiating a deal on a new bike and the first thing the sales person did was pull out the NADA motorcycle book and start quoting trade in values. I said if your going to go by the book, I'll take the trade in value if you sell me that used Ultra for book retail that you have over there asking over $3,000 over book retail. After all "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" Suddenly he didn't like that idea. He knew I knew he was full of crap. I ended up walking.
If you want to see what the dealer pays for the bike, check out the See Dealer Cost website http://www.seedealercost.com/powersports On the 14 Limited's there is over $5,100 between dealer cost and MSRP.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:45 AM
skipperhd1
Cruiser
Cool booking the bike

i used to wholesale cars and motorcycles, and believe me, the book is just a guide. tradfe in value is all about how bad the dealer wants your trade on his showroom floor! it sounds like your bike is perfectly fine, but you're looking to buy harley's hottest selling model! you need to remember the dealer wants to make money on the bike he sells you, and the bike you trade in! bike guys sometimes forget the dealer is in it for the money! it sounds to me like you are close to buying a new bike! good luck and enjoy your new harley! cheers from montana

Old 04-26-2014, 07:21 AM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
If you want to see what the dealer pays for the bike, check out the See Dealer Cost website http://www.seedealercost.com/powersports On the 14 Limited's there is over $5,100 between dealer cost and MSRP.

Interesting, Thanks for the info.