Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTK - Second Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014 | 09:23 AM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Default 2014 FLHTK - Second Clutch Issue

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I thought I'd throw out a "heads up" here. It seems there may be another hydraulic clutch issue.

We all know about the clutch recall on these bikes way back many months ago. I don't have the TSB number handy, but it had something to do with the use of cable-clutch parts in the hydraulic clutch on the Limited. There was a "don't ride, don't sell" order put out by HD on it. When I bought mine in November, that recall had already been addressed by the dealer before I took it home.

Well, 5 months and 4K miles later, sitting a stoplight, bike starts creeping forward. Within about 8 miles to get home, it was pretty clear I had a serious clutch issue, thing was bleeding pressure off FAST. I called up my other dealer (the one I trust to work on my bikes) and had them pick it up. They are about 30 miles away and this thing was plain scary. No leaks, full of fluid. They came and got it and as the guy was loading it into their trailer (20 feet or so of riding?), he could feel the clutch giving out. That was 2 weeks ago.

Just got off the phone with the service writer at the servicing dealership. Took them two weeks to get parts to do a master cylinder rebuild. He says it was the second one they have seen recently. That, combined with the parts delay seems to tell me there is something up.

Again, sorry if this has been discussed already, I haven't been on here in a while, but I thought I'd let y'all know about it.

Old 04-24-2014 | 05:47 PM
fevest
Cruiser

I think they told me they rebuilt the master cylinder when they did the clutch recall last fall.

Old 04-24-2014 | 07:05 PM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fevest
I think they told me they rebuilt the master cylinder when they did the clutch recall last fall.
Yea? Interesting... I'm going to ask the Service Writer about how/if this failure was related to the original recall. I buy my bikes (generally) from 2 different dealers, but only give a different, third dealer the privilege of working on my bikes as the other two are nom-***-poops. Don't trust them.

I have a good rep ore with this service guy, he'll give me the straight scoop when I go to fetch it this weekend.

I'll let y'all know what he has to say about it. I have a hunch that the selling dealer either lied about, or improperly performed the original clutch repair. Not naming names until the story is complete.

Last edited by TurkeyRun; 04-24-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typos - sticky keyboard.... don't go there
Old 04-24-2014 | 07:39 PM
harleymojoman
Tourer

Other than the original recall, I haven't heard of anyone having your problem. I hope it gets fixed soon and isn't a trend!

Old 04-24-2014 | 07:43 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

HD probably went the cheap way on parts, as usual.

Old 04-25-2014 | 01:00 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

The original recall the dealership I use was doing Master Cylinder rebuild. Had a bad check valve in it.

Old 06-02-2014 | 02:36 PM
pineapple.
3rd Gear

Did your clutch master fluid look black as if it was mixed with oil. It no longer has the light color yellow that normal brake/clutch fluid color would be on mine.

Old 06-02-2014 | 02:51 PM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior

I forgot to close the loop on this.

Servicing dealer ordered and installed a MC rebuild kit. Another 500 miles on the bike, mostly in town using the p*ss out of the clutch and so far, so good. Unfortunately when I picked it up, the service writer that I have a real good relationship with, wasn't in. Picked it up from the other guy.

He says, "no charge, and we'll pick up the tow" (no sh*t) keep an eye on it (double no sh*t)

Pineapple - not sure if that last post was for me or not but no. I checked the fluid in the reservoir before I called the dealership. Clean, clear, fresh fluid, and full. No leaks, nothin.

Old 06-02-2014 | 03:03 PM
pineapple.
3rd Gear

Yeah the question was for you. I just opened mine up today because it looked a little low. Once I opened up the cover the fluid looked cloudy gray/black color. I know it should be a yellow color. Did they say anything to you about the color?

Old 06-02-2014 | 03:19 PM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior

Nope - as I said, it was the other service manager alone that day, and he was all about getting my bike and about 10 others out the door. Plus, he wasn't the one who took it in and knew the history of the issue. Bob (other guy) wasn't there.

When I looked at it before it went in, it looked fine.

I know over in BMW-Land (my other life) they always say, if ya got brake problems and the fluid is dark, it's time for a master cylinder. I can't vouch for that, just passing along what I've read. YMMV.

Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTK - Second Clutch Issue