Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Really Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery Tender Really Necessary?

This is my first Harley, so please excuse the ignorance...

Is a battery tender really necessary? If so, how long does the bike need to be parked before it should be plugged in: a week, a month, a day? I've read a few posts that say they hook it up every night on a daily driver. I have a 2014 if it matters at all.

Just curious because all my metrics never had a battery tender and they could sit for a few months and still start. My car regularly goes 2-4 weeks without being started when I travel, and even in the frigid Midwest, it has no issues and my batteries typically last 5 years.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

It's not a Harley thing, it's a battery thing. Some use them some don't. I do. But I don't ride often. If you ride often I say it's not necessary. If it's a week between rides then I would say yes. If your gettin 5 years out of a battery then I wouldn't waste my time on a tender. I use one on my bike and tractor in the winter months but rarely in the summer.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
usmc97hd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never owned one. My batteries typically last in the 6 to 8 year range. I ride a lot and the bike rarely sits more than a week. Even when I lived in Ohio the bike got rode at least once a month during the winter. Never had a need for a tender then and don't think I need one now. But to each his own!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:54 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by baldguy13
This is my first Harley, so please excuse the ignorance...

Is a battery tender really necessary? If so, how long does the bike need to be parked before it should be plugged in: a week, a month, a day? I've read a few posts that say they hook it up every night on a daily driver. I have a 2014 if it matters at all.

Just curious because all my metrics never had a battery tender and they could sit for a few months and still start. My car regularly goes 2-4 weeks without being started when I travel, and even in the frigid Midwest, it has no issues and my batteries typically last 5 years.
Not usually needed during riding season. I live in NH and if one of my bikes doesn't see any use for 3-4 weeks, I hook it up as a precaution. We get 4-5 months of winter here...so no riding. When they are down for the winter, I put them on the tender.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:56 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a tender and right now our bikes are plugged in, we dont ride as much as i would like... i have found that here in the PNW its worth it to me to have one and to use it, i will extend the life of the battery in some cases

Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Agreed, if not riding for a several weeks/month put it on a tender. Otherwise not needed!!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Vehicle batteries discharge when they're not charging. Cars last much longer because they're driven more often, and they're charging so often. Most people don't think of the battery much past starting the car, but the battery runs everything electronic on the car, and in our cases, on the bikes. Because of the constant draw from the battery, the alternator (car) / stator (bike) recharges as we ride.

Bikes, on the other hand, are not typically used every day (yes, I know there are exceptions). They can sometimes for the casual rider sit for days on end, all the while, with a discharging battery.

A battery tender is cheap insurance and helps to prolong the life of the battery. When my bikes are not being ridden, they're on the tender. It's such a slow trickle charge that there is really no reason not to use one.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 04-21-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the edumacation.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Fat_Boy
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I use them on my bikes, atvs, lawn mowers, and anything else that sits for a while (2+ weeks) at a time. They do significantly increase battery life.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:40 PM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maintaining optimum voltage/amperage in any form of battery will always prolong it's life.
I plug mine in whenever it's parked in my garage, always have.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Really Necessary?