Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Really Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

How about the battery from the factory going 8 years using it on a regular bases. I
would ride to work everyday until the rain & snow started in Winter. Plugged the tender
in 90% of the times it was parked, even just over night.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 749 Likes on 513 Posts

You didn't volunteer the years of your metrics, older machines before electronic speedometers, radios and engine computers were really OFF when they were off. Newer machines have all sorts of keep alive memories (speedo memory functions, radio tuning, clock, perhaps even security proximity receivers). There is a constant draw on the battery, not much but it is there. Add to that the natural rate of discharge in the battery itself.

Other than the purchase price, there is no penalty for connecting a maintainer, even if you decide to go for another ride an hour later. (Provided the pig tail is installed) I sure wouldn't want to remove the seat each time to connect the maintainer. Touring machines seem to be hard on batteries. Very few report 5, 6, or 7 years any more. I have no idea if it is the big jolt needed to start the big twins or how close the battery is to the rear cylinder and it gets cooked to an early death. As always, it is your machine, do as you wish. A maintainer is far from being a mandatory accessory. I have and use several.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Like several others have said, if it's in my garage, it's on the tender. No downside.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have one but I never plug it in. I suppose if I were going to let it sit for a couple three weeks or more, I may.

For the person who said it was the best $40 spent on a Harley...I can think of a few better items.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 PM
mickeylynn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bikes with alarms will drain a battery faster, or so I've been told. This is my first with an alarm and I think 3 days is the longest it sat and no problems. My Fatboy was dead after sitting for about 3 weeks. I kept forgetting to plug it in. I plug it in and it charged back up and started right up. It's an inexpensive piece of insurance. All of my Harleys came with pigtails and I just kept the plug they gave me with the first one.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 PM
major105bc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,445 Likes on 1,606 Posts

I plug in after every ride. Been doing it since 07 when I bought my SG. Continued when I got the Ultra. It becomes a no hassle habit.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 PM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The battery is the heart of the system. Its main purpose is to provide stored sufficient energy to start the engine. Once the alternator is turning IT supplies the power to run all the electrical devices on the vehicle (bike) not the battery. When the engine is cranking it causes a large discharge of the battery. The alternators job is to supply voltage and current to the electrical system when its spinning. Its job is NOT to charge the battery. When batteries are made they are set up to have so many discharges (starts) in their lifespan. A battery that sits idle can go a very long time before it discharges. Like stated on old machines that have no memory draws, when they are off they have no draw. Newer machines have slight draws from memories on devices (milliamps) so when sitting parked they will lose a charge at a faster rate. I prefer to plug in if it is gonna sit for a month or more. the tender is not a trickle charger. it is a maintainer. it has technology that will have it monitoring the battery and only putting a very slow (low amperage) charge into the battery when it deems that it is needed.

unless a battery is a deep cycle battery it is very hard on it to run it completely dead and then recharge it. Deep cycle batteries are built for this purpose. For example as a back up for a sump pump. This is because it will be used to provide voltage and current for a good length of time before it can be charged back up. Regular batteries are not built for this. A battery tender is not a bad thing.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:56 PM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Love mine and have for years. Added a Powerlet port to the RK and plug to the Tender and it just couldn't be an easier way to keep things topped off. Just simple peace of mind.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 PM
titched
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always used a tender. Best investment for your battery. Doesn't take a lot of effort but will prolong the life of ur battery.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always a good idea. I plug mine in basically everyday. Keeps the voltage up and makes the battery last twice as long. I've had my Kawasaki going on four years. Never had a dead battery or a battery issue. But if ever did my maintainer would tell me. They let you know when your battery is completley dead. I say plug it in. Very often.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Really Necessary?