Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cvo muffler packing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 PM
JABMIKE
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default cvo muffler packing question

I just purchased a set of cvo mufflers with the intent of installing the Fullsac power cores. I was wondering if anyone has tried just removing some of the baffle packing to get more sound from the mufflers. I have read that Harley overstuffed the cvo mufflers in recent years. Curious minds...

Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I put the full sac cores in with the packing and it sounded great! In the past when I removed the packing the exhaust had a harsh sound.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Also kind of depends on what year of CVO mufflers you get. IIRC the '12 and up have the screens in them that separates the packing from the baffle like the screens that Fullsac sells. If you can get the packing away from the baffles you'll be able to increase the sound level and performance.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Supertrapps enginners have pointed out that without packing, the exhaust gas velocity slows.

the gasses can then eddy or even reverse, which is bad for performance

mike

Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Guess I should have read the Fullsac website info and included it in my post. Here is what the great people at Fullsac found about muffler packing.

"The new Fullsac muffler sleeves are highly recomended when installing our CVO Power cores. Starting in 2012, Harley began over stuffing the OEM mufflers with an excessive amount of sound absorbing material. Dyno testing has shown a loss in TQ when muffler volume is reduced. The new perf sleeves allow half of the packing to be removed while holding the stock material to the outer wall. This creates the needed air gap between the inner core and the outer wall in the muffler. A dyno proven combination that produces great sound quality and performance."

Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 PM
JABMIKE
Tourer
Default cvo mufflers

The set I bought says it is off a 2013 cvo. I read on Fullsac's site that they use the screen to give space between the baffle and packing. I have always stuffed the packing tight around the baffles. I will mount them when they come and give them a listen before any modifications. I have a set of Khrome Werks HP Plus 3.5 on the bike now. I pulled the baffles out and they have steel wool wrapped around the baflle then a thick layer of packing on top of that. I removed the steel wool and some of the packing but they still sound tame. Maybe I will try making space for air with some wire mesh...Wife says I need a new hobby.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:17 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 541 Posts

Most of the folks that have equipped their bikes with the Fullsac screens and baffles use only bout have the packing that's comes stock with the CVO pipes.

YB

Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM
JABMIKE
Tourer
Default cvo mufflers

Received my CVO mufflers that were off a 2013 RG. I used a dremel and ground down the 2 welds on each muffler. There is about 5 layers a packing in there. I am going borrow the concept from Fullsac and I am making some perforated sleeves to keep the packing from choking the baffles and then reuse some of the packing. My weekend project. If still too quiet I will try the Fullsac baffles.

Attached Thumbnails cvo muffler packing question-img_0797.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 12:23 PM
JABMIKE
Tourer
Default cvo mufflers

Repacked the cvo baffles with 2 layers of packing. Still too quiet. Just ordered Fullsac power core 1.75 baffles.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Cortex
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fullsac

JABMIKE,
How did the FullSac CVO power cores turn out? Did you use packing?

Quick Reply: cvo muffler packing question