Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on two up riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:16 PM
kingtut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on two up riding

my RG will be here i two weeks. this will be my first HD. ive always had street bikes (single seat only). my wife quit riding after we had our second child. this will be new for us. i plan to ride the bike for a good month to get the feel.only until im ready ill ask her to ride with me.

to all you HD two up pros, im looking for any words of wisdom

Thanx,
TUT
btw heres my last bike and you'll see what i mean

[IMG]local://upfiles/27553/779B7AA562BC4DBB90D9BF5644E656F8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Edelmon
Cruiser
Default RE: need advice on two up riding

take the msf classes. beginner and advanced. I do 99% two up and they have helped me considerably.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:24 PM
BERRYP
Tourer

She has to lean into the turns or your gona have trouble with the bike. You just have to get use to the weight change to the bike once you do that you should be fine.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:27 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a motocycle safety course, most dealers have the RIDERS EDGE school at their dealership. Once you get comfortable with the added weight, you wont even know shes back there. One more thing, when coming to a stop, always put both feet on the ground, a slight move by her with only one foot down can cause you to fall over before you can get your other foot down to catch yourself. Check this site out for a full list of how too's.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7885_carry-p...otorcycle.html

Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
BIGCHIEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, do what you say...get familiar with the new bike. I would recommend getting the "Ride-Like-A-Pro" DVD and create a riding course for yourself. You will be amazed at what you have forgotten.

Then its a matter of keeping her happy while riding. Warmth is big, seat comfort is another. Start with shorter trips andinclude more stops than you would do if by yourself.

Good luck...

Old 03-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

After you take a riding course and are ready for her to go. Make sure you have somekind of a backrest for her. Go someplace she knows. This way she knows how long she will be on the bike and knows the area. Make sure you tell her to relax and enjoy the new view without the windows. Go slow until you are comfortable with the added weight. Tell her not to shift positions when you are leaning into a turn or coming to a stop. My wife only moves when we are leaning or coming to a stop!Whenyou bothare comfortable take some group rides with friends or HOG chapters. Once you have done all this your life as you know it now will change forever!

Old 03-27-2007, 02:48 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely get used to it before carrying any passenger. Especially with this being your first Harley. My new roadie will be my 4th big Harley and I won't put my wife on until I hit at least 500 miles. From past experience, get her a backrest! Passengers have a tendency to squirm without one and you'll get tired of yelling, or worse, have a spill. Our first trip together will be short enough to see if I need to replace the seat with an ElectraGlide style (16"vs13") If only the Mustang from my '96 would fit, but the '97 and up have the new, lower frame.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM
chesterbud
Cruiser

I've been riding for 39 years and a lot of that is with my wife on back. Once you're used to the weight you won't even notice her. Passengers can make a big difference. Some ride well and others don't. They can move around to much. They have to be confident in you as the driver. Don't let her compensate for what she thinks you're doing wrong. Back rests are a must to give the passenger a sense of security.

Good luck and ride solo for a few miles!!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
kingtut73
Cruiser

thanks for all the replies fellas ill try to absorb all if this when i get ready.imy next mod is a tourpack,( gotta save a little). i just need the bike to get here.. im a little excited[sm=yeahsmile.gif]the bay area weather is looking good

Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
mlgoheen
Advanced

BERRYP, not sure that's such a good idea, the passenger needs to stay put, countersteering is key.

Quick Reply: need advice on two up riding