Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on two up riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: need advice on two up riding

WELCOME TO THE HARLEY WORLD [8D]

#1) Change the Stock Seat - (Pass Comfort if the wife isn't comfy she won't ride long)
#2) Back Rest (Pass. For Support & Comfort)
#3) Riders Safety Courses (ALWAYS A GOOD THING)
#4) Take it slow - Short Local Rides @ first

After awhile you'll never know she's there - in fact once in awhile I have to reach back and make sure the wife's still there

BUT MOST IMPORTANT - HAVE FUN!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Ol Biker
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kingtut, Heed the advice regarding MSF/Riders Edge course - - and, have your lady take it with you. Most courses also talk to and about the passenger. She will be more confident on the back knowing you've taken the course and included her. She'll also learn a bit about being in the "back seat." Ride safe - enjoy the ride.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:20 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Others have given good ideas...ah'll add a few. Lemme preface this by sayin' that we've done 'bout 60k 2-up, over many parts of the country.

1. She has to learn that while slowin' down and/or coming to a stop she STAYS STILL. No major shifting around, etc. - especially at first. Obviously, a lot depends on her size - my better half is 'bout 105 lbs soakin' wet, so any movement of her isn't much, but it's still noticeable.

2. She DOES need to learn to move with you - she needs to lean when youdo, etc.

3. HD has a 2-up Riders course - it's essentially the ER course, but taught to couples. Might be worth your while - check w/your local dealer.

4. For the first rides, have her follow you out to the country in a cage. Keep her away from high traffic areas for a while, and concentrate on making the rides fun for HER. Watch her body english - because if she doesn't enjoy it, she won't ride nearly as often.

5. Make sure you've got lots of water along - for some reason, the women seem to dehydrate faster than guys do. Also remember she's likely to need potty breaks more often - and again, keep the initial trips short and fun. Seek her input on what you can do to make the ride/trip more enjoyable for her.

6. Be prepared for her to go to sleep on a long ride. It's nothing for my better half to nod off 1-2 hours at a time, so a tour pack helps keep them secure.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:28 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go through a couple pages in this (Touring) section. There's plenty of positive comments about an aftermarket "Tourpack" that would save you lots of dough! If your dead set on a topcase. I've had the tourpacks on my last 3 baggers, I found it only gives my wife a reason to pack stuff we don't need! If it don't fit in the sidecases, you don't need to lock it! If you're going to be camping, it's easier to strap tent and bedrolls to a rack (safer too) than on top of a tourpack.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master

I got my bike last year after taking a riders edge. The bike came with solo seat only. Daughter and wife wanted badly to ride. I opt'd NOT to get the pass seat the first season of riding so I could get used to the bike and riding solo FIRST. and could always say "not pass seat, sorry"

This year - first thing I did was get a pass pillion (mustang) and a backrest (from a member here) and its installed and ready to go. Now, using the "no helmet for you" excuse to prolong it a bit but soon - I will be comfy on the bike and ready to take them along .

I plan on just rides on sidestreets to get the feel and allow them to be comfy too, before venturing out for a distant ride. My 9 year old daughter is my biker chick. She has been dieing to ride with me from the day I got it home. First words out of her mouth when she looked at it was "where do I sit?"

So , she gets the first ride soon

Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
redneckremi
Cruiser

Tut,

I had a dyna wide glide and rode 2 up all the time. I just got my Electra Glide Classic two weeks ago and decided to ride 2 up out the door of the HD shop. We made it but man was it a whole nother world between the two. I see that most peps are telling you about leaning and rider safety courses (all of which are great), my one lil piece of advice is to be very careful when your lady gets on the bike.Put pressure on the opposite hand grip and kinda lean it a little to that side when she gets on. It seems to help alot when my wife gets on. Enjoy the rides, my wife and I get out as much as possible now with the classic. A whole nother world and it is great to enjoy it with 2 up riding.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
maximus
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have three rules for all my passengers:

1. Only get on and off when I say that I'm ready for you.

2. Always keep your feet on the boards.

3. Wave to all motorcycles.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There has been a lot of good advice so far.

It's a given, but she gets on last and she's the first to, ummmm, get off. [sm=nothatway.gif]

She needs to keep aligned with you in the turns, leaning with you and not less or more.

Like maximus said, she keeps her feet on the boards. She's up too high to touch the ground and sliding off one side to "help" at a stop causes grief. I've seen it done and it wasn't pretty.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:56 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

For someone who has not ridden - telling them to lean the same way you do is not only scary - its confusing....

To get used to the lean thing - first talk about "why" then ask her to practice looking over the shoulder that is in the direction of the turn... Turn, curve left - she looks over that shoulder - by doing that simple trick, she will lean with you.

ALWAYS make every ride with her a FUN ride - scare her and she will be Out of there in a flash...

Do what ever and buy what ever it takes to keep her not only happy but comfortable - it will pay off in the long run...

My wife does NOT like the wind in her face - she has always worn a full face and she loves it..

Most women get cold - look into heated clothing "Gerbings" fix up her plug and she will be warm as toast and very happy.

I have truly practiced the above things - we are on our third HD since 96 and have toured all the western states, Nova Scotia, BC Canada and off to Alaska this July...

Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
RICHINTX
Advanced

Get her and yourself a good helmet.

Quick Reply: need advice on two up riding