Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking security key light while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 07:17 PM
blukrom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking security key light while riding?

Okay I did a search but didnt uncover anything. I have an 05 RK custom and have the Key light staying on longer than normal at start up, so I check the codes and four items came up. PN 32915-05, U 1016, PN 68922-00 C, PN 67096-04 A, the only one that is listed on the DTC list is the U 1016 which has to do with loss of ECM serial data. I have no idea what the other items are that came up or really what the ECM thing means. If someone could explain I would appreciate it.
Problem #2, I was out on a ride the other day and noticed the Key light blinking while moving, what does that mean? Is it related to the codes or something else? One thing to note is the bike is bone stock, stock pipes, air filter and stock CPU programing. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 09-03-2005, 09:27 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Default RE: Blinking security key light while riding?

Take it back and have the dealer fix it for you. I would not want to be out on a ride when the security system shuts you down. It is probably the security module that is bad. You have a new bike and there should not be any issues with the fuel injection system that I can think of.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/D39AE1AFA2DD4D9DB3453152CC01180E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those fault codes mean you need to pay a visit to your dealer or clear them and see if they re-appear. Here's some useful info:

2004 Touring DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) (Same as 2005, I believe)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Bujin
Cruiser

I had a problem with the 05 RK as well, turn signal began flashing when the ignition was turned on, and it wouldn't cancel. Took it back to the shop and they couldn't figure out the problem, so I suggested we change the security module. We did (under warranty) and it solved the problem. Bike had 1200 mile on it then and now has 3200. Found out there was a bad batch of the modules for these bikes. Do take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. That part is almost 300.00 to replace yourself.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:15 PM
blukrom
Advanced

Thanks for the help guys. I made an appointment to take the bike in next week. Its due for its 1000 mile service so hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone.

Jeff