Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REMOVE ABS ?? How do I???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007 | 08:01 PM
07King103
|
1st Gear
Default REMOVE ABS ?? How do I???

Has anyone ever removed ABS from a harley? My buddy is looking at purchasing an FLHP (police model) that has the ABS system. He doesn't like it, or the room it occupies in the saddlebag. Can it be easily removed? We called two different dealers and they couldn't tell us- they weren't sure. One even mentioned, they would be concerned the computer would need t be reprogrammed??. Personally, I can't imagine it being that big of a deal. Since it is a bolt-on option, shouldn't it be just as easy to un-bolt it?

Old 03-26-2007 | 08:41 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Default RE: REMOVE ABS ?? How do I???

remove ABS...situps..yeah, lot's of situps.
Later

Old 03-26-2007 | 11:57 PM
THABULL
Road Master

I have a friend who just recently removed ABS from a police bike , he said it was just that easy , unplug it from the calipers and throw it away.

Old 03-27-2007 | 01:27 AM
06TEXASCLASSIC
Tourer

If you dont mind, what is it he doesn't like, other than taking up space?

Thanks

Old 03-27-2007 | 01:57 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

THATS WHAT I WAS THINKIN. JUST DISCONNECT BUT WHY?. I REALLY CANT VISUALIZE THE NEED FOR ABS BREAKS ON A BIKE EITHER. HOW DOES THAT WORK?

Old 03-27-2007 | 07:26 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

If you remove your ABS your intestines will fall out... [:'(]

Old 03-27-2007 | 11:45 AM
fimduc
Cruiser

Voodo, ABS on a motorcyle is a beautiful thing and it's a shame that Harley has been so off the mark to make it availble on their bikes. They only started offering on the police models a couple of years ago because they were losing many contracts to BMW and others because the police depts were requiring the feature. Bottom line is ABS brakes will save your butt on a moto especially in a panic stop to prevent the wheels from locking up. At the very least the HD big touring rigs need it on the rear....unfortunately I've seen several times riders stomp on the rear and it locks up quickly laying down rubber and then they let go of the brake and the rear starts rolling again and snaps the bike around and then you have a high side get off. I love my HD but the brakes are patheitc by todays standards......heck it was only a few years ago that the touring rigs had single rotors up front with single puck calipers...that was always a hoot for a 800# bike.

BMW has been at the ABS deal for the longest , I think it was in 1990 they introduced the first generation. Now they have it so small it fits on a naked bike....mean while HD takes up nearly half of one saddle bag with their system. I would not want to loose all that space either. HD got porsche to help them withe Vrod motor and they put those awesome Brembo brakes on the the 'rod so it should be an easy deal for the worlds greatest moto company to source out the best ABS system and put it on the bike

Old 03-27-2007 | 12:44 PM
07King103
|
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 06TEXASCLASSIC

If you dont mind, what is it he doesn't like, other than taking up space?

Thanks
His biggest issue is that he also wants to change the bags out to RK Custom bags, and was concerned about having to modify the bag to make it fit.

Old 03-27-2007 | 01:03 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Its a good system, he should give it a try for awile before removing it.

Old 03-27-2007 | 01:07 PM
EK5858
Road Master

I had to do a panic stop at 80mph on my wifes deluxe last week on interstate 85 heading into Atlanta. I darn near lost the bike. The rear locked up but I had no choice. There was nowhere to go cars were on the shoulder and both sides of me. I fishtailed all over the lane. Only by the grace of God and good luck I didn't go down or hit anyone. Scared the crap out of me. Why do Harleys need ABS? For that right there, If I had been on a ABS equipped bike it would have been better for me. I was lucky. Harleys brakes suck and they need to get into this century.

Quick Reply: REMOVE ABS ?? How do I???