Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kurykyn Curved Lic Plate Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kurykyn Curved Lic Plate Warning

ORIGINAL: vegashd

at 40 bucks did you think you were paying for a billet piece? come on... you guys are buying Kuryaken stuff stuff made in China and expecting quality..... QUALITY, FAST, CHEAP.... Pick two.... thats all you can have
No Einstein. At $50 (not $40) I was expecting something that would not break. I was expecting something that had proper mounting instructions.

But as long as you bring it up, I already have 2 billet license plate brackets. I paid $45 each. $50 for a simple billet plate is quite common. The only reason that I went with the Kury is the design. It doesn't have to be billet, but it should at the very least be made of something stronger than pot metal.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Well, you could always buy the better harley stuff made in Tiawan [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 03-28-2007, 04:17 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Kuryakyn called back today and confirmed I had purchased the part directly from them. Then they provided a return number and directed me to send the broken assembly back to them and they will send a replacement. Does not solve the bigger issue but before I reinstall I'll find a way to dampen the vibration.
FBL

Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 AM
fatboylust
Road Captain

Received the replacement June 12, 07 (two months and two weeksafter sending the broken one to them) and there appears to be no difference between it and the original, but Kuryakyn has added the following warning to the instructions: PLEASE NOTE
It is the installers’ responsibility to make sure all fasteners (including pre-assembled) are tightened before operation of motorcycle. Küryakyn will not warranty components that are lost due to improper installation. Periodic maintenance may be required.

I'll still need to modify it somehow to dampen the vibration. Kuryakyn has added $20 to the price of if you shopping for your first one.
FBL

Old 06-13-2007, 12:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: fatboylust

Received the replacement June 12, 07 (two months and two weeksafter sending the broken one to them) and there appears to be no difference between it and the original, but Kuryakyn has added the following warning to the instructions: PLEASE NOTE
It is the installers’ responsibility to make sure all fasteners (including pre-assembled) are tightened before operation of motorcycle. Küryakyn will not warranty components that are lost due to improper installation. Periodic maintenance may be required.

I'll still need to modify it somehow to dampen the vibration. Kuryakyn has added $20 to the price of if you shopping for your first one.
FBL

I sent my cracked frame back to the dealer about 10 days ago and no word yet. When I receive it, I think I'm going to sell the replacement in its original packaging if anyone's interested in it for $50. I don't want to worry about having this thing break on me 1000 miles from home and have to ride through multiple states without a license plate. I should've measured the thickness of the metal on the old one prior to returning it for comparison, but didn't think of it 'til it was gone.

That warning above may be a legal statement to use as an excuse to blame the customer and absolve them of responsibility if it breaks.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:24 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: Kuryakyn called back today and confirmed I had purchased the part directly from them. Then they provided a return number and directed me to send the broken assembly back to them and they will send a replacement. Does not solve the bigger issue but before I reinstall I'll find a way to dampen the vibration.
FBL

Had the same problem , but Steve from Kuryakyn, sent me the New-design replacement
within 2 days, with a box to ship my old parts in , no charge , no problems , very fast.

Not sure who you talked ,may want to call them back,you should not have to wait for any exchangeing of parts at all , ???? WTF

The new design is "less weight"Old design wassolid metal- weighed about1.5 pounds

New designless material - weighs about .5 pounds, and a thicker mounting area

Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: trackadaptor

FBL

Had the same problem , but Steve from Kuryakyn, sent me the New-design replacement
within 2 days, with a box to ship my old parts in , no charge , no problems , very fast.

Not sure who you talked ,may want to call them back,you should not have to wait for any exchangeing of parts at all , ???? WTF

The new design is "less weight"Old design wassolid metal- weighed about1.5 pounds

New designless material - weighs about .5 pounds, and a thicker mounting area
I should've measured the thickness of my old one and weighed it, but I didn't. I do recall it was quite heavy, and if the new ones are 1/3 the weight I'll notice it. If so, I might be tempted to use the replacement.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

2,000 miles on mineand no problems - yet [8D]

Old 06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Towpro
Banned

Rec'd my replacement from Kury yesterday, as promised. But, they only shipped me the backing plate......WTF LOL

I have a call in to them to see whats up.....we will see.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

Installed the new replacement with one addition. I remove the rubber-baby-buggy-bumper from the stock bracket and drilled a hole (voided the warranty) in the bottom center of the backing plate for the bumper. Only time will tell.

FBL

Quick Reply: Kurykyn Curved Lic Plate Warning