Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with removable Tour Pac Mounting Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014 | 01:03 PM
interwoven
|
Cruiser
Default Problem with removable Tour Pac Mounting Install

Hi,
I am installing the removable tour pac kit on my 2013 EGC. I was wondering if the attached picture shows the correct install for the front docking points. This is how the instructions show to install them. Spacer>Bushing>screw. It just doesn't look right? If I reverse them...Bushing>Spacer>screw then the slots on the tour pac do not fit on the bushings correctly and ride on the inside edge of the bushing.

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-12-2014 | 01:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

the front mount is located on the upper shock mount, not the docking hardware itself. you need to move forward some.

Old 04-12-2014 | 01:58 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

here's my 09 :

the post above confuses me....

mike

Old 04-12-2014 | 02:38 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
the front mount is located on the upper shock mount, not the docking hardware itself. you need to move forward some.
This is correct for some attachments including the solo tour pak mount, the 2up mount uses both docking points on the hardware, be sure you have the correct mount for the position you want

Old 04-12-2014 | 08:51 PM
dking909
Tourer

I have a '13 EGC with removable TourPak. The front mount on mine is the same as your photo. The front slot does slip onto the inside part of the mount but it is lined with plastic. Seems wrong but came installed that way when bought new. I have no complaints about vibration and plastic lined slot does fit snugly on post.

Old 04-12-2014 | 10:16 PM
Scaffido
Tourer

That's the way mine set up to on my 2014.

Old 04-13-2014 | 06:28 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by interwoven
Hi,
I am installing the removable tour pac kit on my 2013 EGC. I was wondering if the attached picture shows the correct install for the front docking points. This is how the instructions show to install them. Spacer>Bushing>screw. It just doesn't look right? If I reverse them...Bushing>Spacer>screw then the slots on the tour pac do not fit on the bushings correctly and ride on the inside edge of the bushing.

Thanks for any help!

You have it correct for the 2-Up removable tour pack.
That outside (black part) is used for the rear mounting point of a passenger back rest.

They make chrome covers for those mounting points.
They are magnetic and slip on the points that are not being used (depending on what device is being used).

So, in your picture where you have the tour pack mounted you would put the chrome magnetic cover over the black part.
Then if you were to remove the tour pack and use a passenger back rest, you would remove the magnetic cover and move it to the rear mounting point since it won't be used for the back rest.

I can get pictures of all the options if you need them.

Old 04-13-2014 | 07:21 AM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser

I just installed mine last week, and it fits the same. I was hoping I had done it correctly.

Old 04-13-2014 | 08:05 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

The MoCo's instructions suck on all of their add on accessories.
For the money spent you would think they could pay a process engineer a fair wage to do a descent job, and it appears they don't.

Old 04-13-2014 | 08:29 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by VTL nut
The MoCo's instructions suck on all of their add on accessories.
For the money spent you would think they could pay a process engineer a fair wage to do a descent job, and it appears they don't.
I installed all of my stuff using the instructions included.
I agree that some of their instructions may not be obvious at first, but most of the time they are not that bad.

For anyone interested, I took some pictures this morning to show all of the various options for the 4-Point docking hardware.
This applies to the 2009 - 2013 bikes. Earlier or later years may be different.

First two pictures show just the docking hardware itself. Nothing attached and no covers over the mounting points.

Next two show a passenger backrest. Notice that I added the chrome magnetic cover to the rear docking point.
Note: The passenger back rest uses the upper shock mount as the front mounting point.

Next two show the detachable luggage rack that can be mounted behind the backrest. Removed the chrome magnetic docking point covers.
The luggage rack uses the same mounting points as a 2-up tour pack.

Next three show the 2-Up tour pack. Notice in the first one there is no chrome cover over the mounting point. Looks much better with those magnetic covers in place.
They will not fall off, as the magnets are pretty good.

Quick Reply: Problem with removable Tour Pac Mounting Install