Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with removable Tour Pac Mounting Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014 | 08:37 AM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser

Great pics. Thanks for confirming I have mine installed correctly.

Old 04-13-2014 | 02:58 PM
03psd
Tourer

Originally Posted by RollaMo
I installed all of my stuff using the instructions included.
I agree that some of their instructions may not be obvious at first, but most of the time they are not that bad.

For anyone interested, I took some pictures this morning to show all of the various options for the 4-Point docking hardware.
This applies to the 2009 - 2013 bikes. Earlier or later years may be different.

First two pictures show just the docking hardware itself. Nothing attached and no covers over the mounting points.

Next two show a passenger backrest. Notice that I added the chrome magnetic cover to the rear docking point.
Note: The passenger back rest uses the upper shock mount as the front mounting point.

Next two show the detachable luggage rack that can be mounted behind the backrest. Removed the chrome magnetic docking point covers.
The luggage rack uses the same mounting points as a 2-up tour pack.

Next three show the 2-Up tour pack. Notice in the first one there is no chrome cover over the mounting point. Looks much better with those magnetic covers in place.
They will not fall off, as the magnets are pretty good.

Great pics. A pics is worth 10k words.

I have an additional question: is it possible to mount a tour pack directly behind the driver without a passenger? I need a tour pack and have been looking for one semi-seriously for a couple months but I almost never ride 2 up and typically just use my solo mustang seat. having a huge gap between me and the tour pack would look almost a silly as a backrest on the tourpack with no seat below it for someone to sit on in order to use the backrest. The perfect situation for me would be a set up where I could either mount the tourpack forward where I could use the backrest if I was riding solo or move it back on rear docking points to its usual position when I mount my passenger pillion and the wife goes for a rider. Does such a set up exist???

Old 04-13-2014 | 03:11 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The solo position requires a solo mount ( the part that bolts to the bottom of the tourpak) So to be able to run both positions you need a 4 point dock and both 2up & 1up mounts.

Old 04-13-2014 | 03:31 PM
interwoven
|
Cruiser

That's great info!!! Thanks for everyone taking the time to help. Thanks for the pics!

The directions were a bit confusing but I feel better now that it is confirmed it is on correctly. Wouldn't want the better half sitting back there leaning on that tour pac and it and her fell off. That tour pac is expensive

One other question. I installed a solo seat and the exposed mounting bolts look like crap. What have others done in this instance? Here is a pic:

Old 04-13-2014 | 03:44 PM
03psd
Tourer

Originally Posted by interwoven
That's great info!!! Thanks for everyone taking the time to help. Thanks for the pics!

The directions were a bit confusing but I feel better now that it is confirmed it is on correctly. Wouldn't want the better half sitting back there leaning on that tour pac and it and her fell off. That tour pac is expensive

One other question. I installed a solo seat and the exposed mounting bolts look like crap. What have others done in this instance? Here is a pic:

they make a decorative set of nuts that have the wrench flats down low and has a rounded top that hides the threaded stud. Kind of like an acorn nut but bigger and not quite so rounded on top. They also interface with the passenger pillion when I install it. I got a set from JP for like $8

Old 04-13-2014 | 03:49 PM
03psd
Tourer

Originally Posted by DPete
The solo position requires a solo mount ( the part that bolts to the bottom of the tourpak) So to be able to run both positions you need a 4 point dock and both 2up & 1up mounts.
Thanks DPete. I have a 4 point docking set up. so there is no way to use the same pack base in either position? its either one or the other? thats not what I wanted to hear. Is it possible to use a 2 up mount and not use a pack mounted backrest and still use a detachable backrest for the passenger at the same time as using the TP in the 2 up position?

Old 04-13-2014 | 04:55 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 03psd
I have an additional question: is it possible to mount a tour pack directly behind the driver without a passenger?
Yes, as DePete mentioned

The perfect situation for me would be a set up where I could either mount the tourpack forward where I could use the backrest if I was riding solo or move it back on rear docking points to its usual position when I mount my passenger pillion and the wife goes for a rider. Does such a set up exist???
I don't think your going to find anything like that.
The 2 different tour pack mounts use different mounting points.
I believe (but not 100% sure) the solo tour pack mount uses the top shock mount for the front mounting point just like the passenger back rest.

Since they are physically different mounting plates, your not going to be able to make one mounting plate mount both ways.

Originally Posted by DPete

Is it possible to use a 2 up mount and not use a pack mounted backrest and still use a detachable backrest for the passenger at the same time as using the TP in the 2 up position?
Not sure I understand your question completely.
If your asking if you can run the 2-up tour pack and a passenger backrest at the same time, then I don't think so.
The tour pack sits too far forward to allow room for the back rest.

The actual mounting points would allow it though, it is just the back rest and the front portion of the tour pack want to occupy the same space at the same time.

Old 04-14-2014 | 10:29 PM
03psd
Tourer

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Yes, as DePete mentioned

I don't think your going to find anything like that.
The 2 different tour pack mounts use different mounting points.
I believe (but not 100% sure) the solo tour pack mount uses the top shock mount for the front mounting point just like the passenger back rest.

Since they are physically different mounting plates, your not going to be able to make one mounting plate mount both ways.

Not sure I understand your question completely.
If your asking if you can run the 2-up tour pack and a passenger backrest at the same time, then I don't think so.
The tour pack sits too far forward to allow room for the back rest.

The actual mounting points would allow it though, it is just the back rest and the front portion of the tour pack want to occupy the same space at the same time.
understood. thank you for the great explanation.

Old 04-15-2014 | 08:24 PM
BuzzL
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
the front mount is located on the upper shock mount, not the docking hardware itself. you need to move forward some.
Need to move forward? All accessories need to sit on the bushings, so you need to reverse and go spacer,bushing with that particular setup . This is why we do not put thread lock on the screws so we can change them for different accessories.

Old 04-15-2014 | 08:51 PM
Jarhead_88
Advanced

You have it right for the tourpak. Mine is the same. RollaMo covered it thoroughly with some great pics. Nice work RollaMo.

Quick Reply: Problem with removable Tour Pac Mounting Install