Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powervision Speedometer/Odometer Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Powervision Speedometer/Odometer Calibration

Just sharing some information as I've been unable to find it anywhere. After calibrating my speedo, the odometer was off and my MPG went down. I talked to Dynojet today and they confirmed that the speedo and the odometer use the same sensor, so....neither will be accurate at the same time. Therefore, I suppose it would be possible to have the speedo off by 50% and your odometer will be too.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,835 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Just sharing some information as I've been unable to find it anywhere. After calibrating my speedo, the odometer was off and my MPG went down. I talked to Dynojet today and they confirmed that the speedo and the odometer use the same sensor, so....neither will be accurate at the same time. Therefore, I suppose it would be possible to have the speedo off by 50% and your odometer will be too.
I calibrate the odometer and figure the speedo will be close. Your mileage goes down as you correct the odometer because usually they are fast, so it is registering more miles than you are riding.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:16 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Both of mine are.

The same sensor's used, so basically you can verify that they're both correct via a GPS or using a timer and roadside mileage signs. My speedometer is dead-nuts on, and I have less that a 1 mile discrepancy over the course of a 230 mile trip. I was able to do the same thing to my Limited with the TTS a few years ago.

IOW, there's no reason they wouldn't both be correct.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually calibrating the speedometer accurately would make both of them accurate. So your MPG really wasn't higher before it just seemed that way.

The following users liked this post:
sdtheclub1 (09-16-2017)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Hausguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I calibrate the odometer and figure the speedo will be close. Your mileage goes down as you correct the odometer because usually they are fast, so it is registering more miles than you are riding.
Well you can't just calibrate ONLY the odometer according to Dynojet. The speedo pulses per kilometer are adjusted and the odometer adjusts with it. In my case when the speedo was perfect, the odometer was off by about 3%. They suggested splitting the difference in the PPK adjustment so both will be closer (it's set at 2250 now). ALSO, you can make a compensating adjustment on the PV in the Trip Center but that doesn't adjust the bikes actual speedo or odometer.

I really don't care if these are off a little, and I realize that all bikes are different.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 749 Likes on 513 Posts

Unless the odometer is ridiculously off, what difference does it make? So you change your oil every 4800 miles instead of 5000 seems like no harm done. The warranty is 2 years UNLIMITED MILES so accumulating miles a bit faster makes no difference there either. On the other hand, you get tickets, points and insurance price increases from speeding tickets. I'd go for the accurate speed over accurate miles

Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Hausguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by btsom
Unless the odometer is ridiculously off, what difference does it make? So you change your oil every 4800 miles instead of 5000 seems like no harm done. The warranty is 2 years UNLIMITED MILES so accumulating miles a bit faster makes no difference there either. On the other hand, you get tickets, points and insurance price increases from speeding tickets. I'd go for the accurate speed over accurate miles
You sound like Hillary

Like I already said, I don't really care that much...I was just sharing that the calibration is done with the same sensor and that they are not necessarily perfect. Mine was off by 4% and in a year of riding for me, that's 800 miles or so. Anyway, no biggie.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,835 Likes on 986 Posts

Well you can't just calibrate ONLY the odometer according to Dynojet. The speedo pulses per kilometer are adjusted and the odometer adjusts with it. In my case when the speedo was perfect, the odometer was off by about 3%. They suggested splitting the difference in the PPK adjustment so both will be closer (it's set at 2250 now). ALSO, you can make a compensating adjustment on the PV in the Trip Center but that doesn't adjust the bikes actual speedo or odometer.

I really don't care if these are off a little, and I realize that all bikes are different.
Sorry, I should have said that I use the odometer to calibrate mine. I knew they were connected, I hadn't realized that one could be off and the other correct. I'll have to check that.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:29 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Sorry, I should have said that I use the odometer to calibrate mine. I knew they were connected, I hadn't realized that one could be off and the other correct. I'll have to check that.
They shouldn't be though. When you change the setting with the PV or the TTS, you're basically compensating for the circumference of the tire. That affects both the speedometer and odometer equally (smaller tire = more revolutions = more speed read = more distance covered). Correct that, your speedometer should read lower and your odometer moves slower (which will also give the appearance of your gas mileage dropping).

Funny thing with my CVO, the speed and distance were reading off from the day I got it. I never got around to correcting it. I replaced the stock wheels with 18" Agitators and it read dead-on without any correction.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

FWIW - nice day here in Seattle so I went for a ride after the adjusted pulse rate of 2250. The speed is about 1 mph faster compared to my GPS and odometer is almost right...need to go on a long trip to evaluate. I've always run either the stock Dunlops or the American Elite equivalent with proper air pressure. I'm close so it's fine.

The reason for my initial post was because other posts on the same subject have been confusing and not all were accurate. Thanks guys for your feedback.

Quick Reply: Powervision Speedometer/Odometer Calibration