Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS with or without

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014 | 10:05 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior

it was the only thing I didn't want to pay for, but it's good for insurance and resale.

Old 04-07-2014 | 10:40 PM
hornetguy
|
Novice

Really good advice about using more of the front brake. I tend to hit both of them when slowing down, but probably do use more back brake. I'll work on that... the logic is flawless.
I have absolutely nothing against the IDEA of ABS, and all the success stories tend to prove that out. I just don't know why mine feel so odd some of the time. The front/back braking thing might just fix it for me.
Thanks to all....

Old 04-07-2014 | 10:44 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I think some people are so sure of their braking skill that they feel ABS is sort of demeaning. An analogy would be automatic transmissions on motorcycles.

If Al Gore had invented the internet decades ago, people would have posted about the same resistance to change from manual to automatic transmissions. Now almost everything, even big trucks and busses, has automatic transmissions. And a lot of people don't know how to drive a stick.

I think the day will come when ABS is as common as automatic transmissions and nobody will give it a second thought. Just as a lot of people ride motorcycles today that wouldn't have considered doing that in the past.
I remember when they started putting ABS in cars and the resistance then is much the same I hear about two wheels. Never understood. I wish I had gotten my 13 with ABS. ABS will actually shorten your stopping distance because a skidding tire has lost traction. Let alone the dangers of skidding on a motorcycle.

Old 04-08-2014 | 05:24 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

My 04 RKC does not have it and my 2010 limited does have it. I like it and wish I had it on my RKC. There have been two times that I have really felt it work on the limited and man both times it worked to help stabilize the bike. I am not sure why any would not want it, but to each their own. If I ever get another bike they will have it for sure.

Old 04-08-2014 | 05:41 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by hornetguy
Really good advice about using more of the front brake. I tend to hit both of them when slowing down, but probably do use more back brake. I'll work on that... the logic is flawless.
I have absolutely nothing against the IDEA of ABS, and all the success stories tend to prove that out. I just don't know why mine feel so odd some of the time. The front/back braking thing might just fix it for me.
Thanks to all....
The pressure put on your rear brake should be minimal. It's best to put your foot on the pedal and not consciously push on it. As you apply the front brake your body weight will shift forward and that is enough pressure to apply your rear brake. 70-80% of your braking comes from the front.....that's why Harley puts twice as many rotors and calipers on the front of their big bikes as the rear.

Old 04-08-2014 | 06:13 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior

forget the percentage of stopping provided by which wheel. RATHER
Which wheel do you want to be the fulcrum? Ideally the rear should be the fulcrum point.
a front wheel can provide 100% of the stopping power in a stoppie. how would your passenger appreciate this?
Use both brakes in a manner that will not result in the skidding of either. It takes practice and knowing how your machine responds. If this is too much to practice then ABS is for you.

Old 04-08-2014 | 07:40 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

One other caution, all of this more stopping effort on the front wheel is fine until there is sand, small gravel, or even water on the street. If the front wheel skids, it will go out from underneath you in a split second. Perhaps that is one more instance where ABS is a life saver. As is always the case, you can't relax your situational awareness for a second when on 2 wheels.