Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well that's a new one...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PKS98S
That's the diagnosis I got today at the HD dealership. I have a carbureted 01 RK with factory security. When I turned my ignition switch on the other day, the security indicator (little key lamp in the speedometer) came on as usual and went out in a few seconds as normal. However, that was followed up by both turn signal indicators blinking rapidly 6 times, the security indicator coming back on, and after a few seconds off again. The bike starts just fine as normal. The security alarm can be armed and disarmed as normal (button style remote) - WTF.

After calling the HD dealership and getting the standard response - bring it in and we'll check it out - I went in this morning. Two service advisors at the service counter, one states he will walk out and check for any codes as soon as he was done with another customer. So I stepped away from the service counter for a minute and as I walk away I hear him say to the other service advisor "do you know how to check the codes".

After a few minutes, the other service advisor tells me to pull my bike in the service drive. He goes out with me and proceeds to check for any codes. I hear a "hum, all codes are clear". So he checks again and that's when I get the "well that's a new one", I don't know what to tell you. I've never seen anything like this before. Leave the bike with us and we'll see if we can figure something out. YEAH RIGHT!!!

So for now, everything is working fine other then this freaky flashing chit that started. Any thoughts on what could be causing the extra flashing of lights??

Have you recently changed any of the bulbs for your turn signals ? L.E.D. S ? If not turn your ign switch on and activate one of your turn signals and check if the front and rear bulbs are flashing,and then activate the other one . Are the signals working correctly?
There is a code in your TSSM that is way of telling you that something is at fault with your turnsignal circuit or security.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope I was able to help. Post up and let us know the results!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by PKS98S
Jimmykoz... THANK YOU. Thank you for the very informative information and taking the time to type it out and post. Now off to the "blink" count (after the eyes and brain clear-up)
Cut and paste...but a nice gesture, nonetheless, kudos to Jimmykoz...I saved this information in my own files in the event that I should ever need it.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmykoz
Hope I was able to help. Post up and let us know the results!
*** UPDATE ***
Performed test as printed and came up with a single code #31 - Alarm output low.

A possible cause was listed as:
31&32= Middle pin on siren goes low voltage to fire alarm, high voltage to stop.
If the siren responds with 3 chirps instead of 2 the siren battery is bad.
Pin A (Bn/Gy) is positive voltage downstream of the 15amp security fuse.
Pin C (Bk) is ground from pin 12 (Bk) on TSSM.

Since I have no siren, I was not really sure if I should really be concerned with this. So yesterday I had it checked out further - at a different HD dealership - and they confirmed the same code. When I discussed not having a siren, they said that's all fine but this same circuit also disables the starter when the alarm is set and allows the starter to work when the alarm is deactivated. The gamble is at any point the alarm could be disarmed however the starter circuit may not come off the alarm set, rendering the bike unable to start. So the only solution is to replace the TSSM - $267.00 using existing remote or don't use the alarm. Since I've never used the alarm, why start now