Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped the Tranny plug........HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master
Veteran: Marine CorpVeteran: Air Force
Received 865 Likes on 328 Posts
Default Stripped the Tranny plug........HELP!

Yeah, so I'm a dumb*ss.......had a few beverages while changing the tranny fluid on the '12RK, and was talking to my neighbor (who just bought a Sporty and wants to learn as much as she can....."yeah, I'll teach her a few things" I'm thinking to myself......) at the same time. Tightened up the tranny drain plug with what I trout was 14 ftlbs on the torque wrench........like i said, i'm a dumb*ss......but it was set to 44ftlbs.....don't ask me why. So I'm tightening while bullshitting and waiting for the click of the wrench. Well, like Paul Harvey used to say, "now you know the rest of the story".

What's the best way to fix this? Helicoil? Time Sert? Any advice on HOW to do this without removing the trans case? I'll take all the advice I can get.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 AM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure that no thread filings fell into the trans. If they did that will be problematic. If you are going to fix it with a heli coil, you are going to have to drill out the fill hole and tap for the heli coil. Doing that without getting cuttings in the trans is going to be difficult, but can be done if you take your time and are careful. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,949 Likes on 19,383 Posts

Time Sert is ( in my opinion ) much easier to install and much more forgiving. Back in the day when a drain pan would strip and all other options failed we used a rubber plug ( they cam in different sizes ) that had and hex screw that when tightened pulled against a fixed nut inside the plug that would expand and seal the rubber against the hole in the pan, or in your situation the trans case ... just a thought. Good Luck and remember patience is a virtue. Here's a link to something similar http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=256832_0_0_

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Ah, "she". You were some kind of distracted to be able to strip the dip stick.

See what stripped first. It might just be the dipstick itself. Otherwise, I think that end cover or plate comes off readily enough. If it isn't very expensive, I'd probably replace it instead of taking the time to try to fix it.

I'd also likely want to take that plate off anyways, just to make sure I got any shavings out of the transmission.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,949 Likes on 19,383 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Ah, "she". You were some kind of distracted to be able to strip the dip stick.

See what stripped first. It might just be the dipstick itself. Otherwise, I think that end cover or plate comes off readily enough. If it isn't very expensive, I'd probably replace it instead of taking the time to try to fix it.

I'd also likely want to take that plate off anyways, just to make sure I got any shavings out of the transmission.
I think you might want to re-read the question :>)

Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

It always surprises me when I see a tranny strip, especially when the bottoms come off. Time sert

Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

drain plug fellas....not dipstick. jeez.

OP, the auto parts store will have a couple of solutions for this.

take your drain plug in and try to match up size.
let them know this is into aluminum.

basically a replacement for the drain plug which has a die which will form new threads.

some of these have in the center a sealing plug which will be the new drain plug for the life of the repair.

if cutting new threads like this, aluminum shavings will result. a magnet can't grab them, using axle grease will grab them.
if you work the tool cutting threads, go forward a 1/4 turn at a time, then back off an 1/8th turn

quick emergency fix would be a freeze plug replacement kit. rubber plug with 2 washers and a bolt running through it- tighten the bolt, the rubber squarshes and fills the hole.

the tranny is under almost no internal pressure.

if this is daunting, take the bike to a machine shop- one of the guys there would sort this out

2.) the 44 ftlbs, should never have happened to a rider with experience with tools, that's alot of force.
we have seen more than one rider with new bike and new tools do similar, such as applying foot pounds when inch pounds were spec'd

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-03-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

2.) the 44 ftlbs, should never have happened to a rider with experience with tools, that's alot of force.
we have seen more than one rider with new bike and new tools do similar, such as applying foot pounds when inch pounds were spec'd
Mitigating circumstances:
"she..."
"...had a few beverages while..."
"Yeah, so I'm a dumb*ss..."

Stuff happens. Usually, with me, it is always when there is someone watching! Never happens when no one is around to see it. Yep! That's my story...

Old 04-03-2014, 12:04 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master
Veteran: Marine CorpVeteran: Air Force
Received 865 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
drain plug fellas....not dipstick. jeez.

OP, the auto parts store will have a couple of solutions for this.

take your drain plug in and try to match up size.
let them know this is into aluminum.

basically a replacement for the drain plug which has a die which will form new threads.

some of these have in the center a sealing plug which will be the new drain plug for the life of the repair.

if cutting new threads like this, aluminum shavings will result. a magnet can't grab them, using axle grease will grab them.
if you work the tool cutting threads, go forward a 1/4 turn at a time, then back off an 1/8th turn

quick emergency fix would be a freeze plug replacement kit. rubber plug with 2 washers and a bolt running through it- tighten the bolt, the rubber squarshes and fills the hole.

the tranny is under almost no internal pressure.

if this is daunting, take the bike to a machine shop- one of the guys there would sort this out

mike
yeah, i know.......but ya shoulda seen the shorts she had on.......

Good advice. I really don't want any junk in the tranny, so this sounds like a good option.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:10 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by daddybones
yeah, i know.......but ya shoulda seen the shorts she had on.
I had a feeling lack of clothing was probably involved as well as the beverages.

Quick Reply: Stripped the Tranny plug........HELP!