Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Oil Temp. records

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:14 PM
DCRANER
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Oil Temp. records

Got 64 miles on my 07 FLHRS and with the LCD dip stick I am going to keep track of my oil temps.; stock / new, @ 500 miles, @ 1,000 with Syn., with upgrades (Stage1, etc.).

So, @ 64 miles after 20 mile run (45 degrees outside) & 2 minute heat soak = 197 degrees.

I think that is quite good for new and probably convential oil.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:16 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 07 Oil Temp. records

you know you have to take your eye's off the road to look @ it

Old 03-25-2007, 03:12 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok,,, as long as we are on this subject.....I just picked up a ,
Fluke Infrared Thermometer,,,,,
I to, am going to record heat,,, stock, at ft cyl. rear cyl. pipes ect.
cool days hot days...
then when I add my mods=muff's,A/C,Fuelpak,,
I'll take same readings........so.. give me a couple more weeks and I shall let you guys know!!!
I'm not sure if anyone has done this,,, we'll see

Old 03-25-2007, 06:18 PM
DaleG
Advanced

I don't know whether or not I have a problem, but my 07 Street Gluide I bought in early February never seems to get above 180 deg. I have an oil temp gauge and oil cooler installed by the dealer. Unfortunately, the sensor for the gauge is in the oil cooler return. It registers minimum scale until the thermostat for the oil cooler kicks in at 180 degF. The only time I have seen it get hot enough to kick in is when I was stuck in traffic (or let it idle for 5 min) and the temperature outside is close to 70 deg. Going down the road the oil cooler never kicks in.

I have read that the 07s run way hot, but I get no indication of that from the oil temp. I did notice one evening after a ride home that the rear cylinder pipe was glowing red hot. But the oil temp seemed to be low if anything. I have gone to stage 1 with a big sucker and V&H ovals. I bought the SERT and uploaded a generic stage 1 upload for my configuration. The bike runs fine, no flat spots, backfires, carb farts, or popping. It does not start on first turn anymore, but that is not a big issue with me. Also, I noticed that the rear pipe no longer is glowing.

So my main concern is operating temperature. I heard the complaint that these bikes ran way too hot. But I have never seen that indication, except for the rear pipe. I thought once warmed up these bikes should run around 200 upto 240 degF. The oil cooler does not seem to be running all the time like with a stuck open thermostat. When gauge reads minimum, I can touch the cooler with my hand it is not hot. When the gauge indicates 180 degF it is hot, so I think it is working. It is still relatively cool here, high 60s low 70s, so will I see the heat issue when the temperature reaches the high 90s, which it will.

By the way, I think the position of the HD oil temperature sensor sucks. I will probably move it to the oil pan plug, once I have some time.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:24 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we are on this subject. I just ordered the led dipstick style temp gauge. I've never seen one. Is this unit meant to be left on the bike all the time or do you just stick it in the hole and remove it after getting a temp reading, Replacing it with thefactory screw in dip stick?

Old 03-25-2007, 08:36 PM
cornholio
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it replaces the stock dipstick and stays in all the time.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

While we are all on the subject. my bike is stock. no oil temp gauges. use the seat of my pants(or thigh gauge). up until 1000 mile service last fall bike would be uncomfertable at a mere stop sighn or long traffic light. Not quite bad enough to jump off but made me slide back on seat. Then at 1000 mi service added synth oil,ecm upgrade(recall),premium oil cooler(the one new for 07 w/chrome cover),and dealer assured me brake-in also cools it down(new parts meshing). Heat has subsided greatly. Up and down mainstreet daytona was one of my biggest example ,bike was no more or less hot then other bikes I have riden. Just in general bike feels cooler and don't even think about heat. HD says the bike runs 12 degrees hotter off the line then 06. Dont remeber who told me that but Im glad it is easielly fixed.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My '05 E-G has that LED oil dipstick and I like it alot. The battery had to be replaced a week or so ago, but that's just a $2 battery and 5 minute job so no biggie.

So far since I got the bike in December temps average from about 187 to about 203 or so.I run long distance freeway at 75-80 mph so these temps are after runs like that. I do have the deluxe oil cooler on the bike and am running Amsoil 20W-50 in my 95" motor (21k on the motor). I havent had the bike in summer yet but my Dad told me (he had it since new) that itmaybe hit 212 on him once or twice in the summertime.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 AM
grooveman
Road Captain

Not to hijack the thread but are those LED dipsticks any good? I want to get one but I read on another thread about them crapping out fairly early on.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:39 AM
mikehess43
Novice

During a recent trip of over a 650 miles at an average cruising speed of 70mph, the oil temperature gauge installed in the 07 Batwing never went over 115°F even though the ambient air temperature was between between 95 and 120f. The gauge would register variations in the road temperature from below 110 to about 115F. The dip stick oil temperature gauge (63046-07) never went over 231°F and read over 200 most of the day when I checked it at fuel stops. My dealer tells me that the guage will not read anything until the oil cooler thermostat (at the oil filter) opens, and it doesn't open until 255-260f. My bike now has 11,000 miles on it and the guage has never read anything but 110-115. I've poured boiling water on the sensor in the oil line and have gottten then guage to move a bit. So I think the sensor works. This week I am taking the bike in and the dealer/distributor will run it in a way to get it to open up and then see what happens. The instructions that came with the cooler says: "2. Verify that temperature of oil cooler increases when engine
reaches normal operating temperatures. If the oil cooler remains cool after engine has warmed up, there may be an oil obstruction. Turn off engine and check system for source of obstruction." When you look at the instructions, there might be a way of putting the gasket in backwards which migh block the oil lines...we'll see what happens. Bottom line is that when it was an air temperature of 120f I was seeing stars but the bike ran beautifully. But I was constantaly cruising across the desert and the oil temp by the dipstick stayed quiet cool: 195-231f. If I had it do do over again I wouldn't buy an oil cooler for a TC96. I'll let you know if the cooler/guage is working properly by the end of this week. Since that ride, the bike now has a power commander, dynotuned, S&S big ovals, Arleen Ness big sucker 1 and is turning 83HP and 93ftlbs.

Quick Reply: 07 Oil Temp. records