Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you handle a big bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014 | 06:03 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=UppercaseJC;12524840]Dropping the bike no big deal ..Not quite

Ride like a pro will tell you that Harley's can and do tip further than the boards. They will sometime tip and hit the outside of the fairing. You may want padding in that area with foam and duct tape. Another way is to reverse the highway pegs for practice so they help the bike from completely going on its side. I never did drop my bike but I certainly came close to doing so.[/QUOTE

Naaa, no fairing on a King, plus put on some highway pegs and roll em outboard and it helps.

Old 04-01-2014 | 06:58 PM
STpwmATC
Cruiser

And I have no idea how to ride a bike now it seems... DAMN!!!

Old 04-01-2014 | 09:22 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior

Very cool! I got dizzy just watching...lol.

Old 04-01-2014 | 09:48 PM
cass
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Where can you find a class around your location that teaches you to ride like that?
here is a franchise from ride like a pro and jerry Pallidino (Motorman)
here is the link: https://www.ridelikeapro.com/trainin.../pennsylvania/

Live in Pennsylvania? Not a problem! Our Motor Officer/Instructor, Shane Eckert will be teaching the same great Ride Like a Pro class at his location in Reedsville, PA

You can call Shane at (484) 336-6679 or email Shane, Archer1969@comcast.net Website: www.ridelikeapropa.com

Old 04-01-2014 | 11:42 PM
03snake
Tourer

The video was Donnie Williams. Been around for a while. I bought the 'Ride Like A Pro' video and found it very helpful. My buddy and I are going to buy a bunch of tennis ***** from the dollar store, cut them in half, and practice in an empty parking lot. The video/pamphlet gives you instructions on how to lay out various courses. So far really helped me in parking lots and slow speed stuff. I figure I can never stop learning.

Old 04-02-2014 | 12:05 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master

deleted

Last edited by dgreen1069; 04-02-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2014 | 07:03 AM
cass
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 03snake
The video was Donnie Williams. Been around for a while. I bought the 'Ride Like A Pro' video and found it very helpful. My buddy and I are going to buy a bunch of tennis ***** from the dollar store, cut them in half, and practice in an empty parking lot. The video/pamphlet gives you instructions on how to lay out various courses. So far really helped me in parking lots and slow speed stuff. I figure I can never stop learning.
that's how I started, then I had the opportunity to take the class. it was a lot a fun and $$ well spent. as mentioned earlier, I might take the next class which takes the maneuver areas from 24 feet down to 20 and 18 feet.....can you say pucker. I think I better get a couple rolls of bubble wrap.

Old 04-02-2014 | 08:41 AM
jmcdermit
Tourer

Originally Posted by beary
One thing you can take from that video is watch where he is looking. The first lesson instructors teach is look a head where you are going, not in front where you are at. That guy does a really good job of showing it. You would be amazed what you can do once you develope that habit. The bike is going where your eyes are looking.

Beary
This is exactly what stands out in my mind from the course I took. If you look at a pothole or manhole cover....YOU WILL HIT IT!!! Do not look at roadkill. Look beside it if you want to miss it.

Old 04-02-2014 | 12:44 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Looking where you want to go is very important, and is still my weakness. I try to look where I want to go, and I think I do for the most part, but I tend to use my eyes instead of moving my whole head. The instructors tell everyone NOT to do it like I do it . Apparently I'm a bad example!

Old 04-02-2014 | 02:08 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 03snake

That is a great idea with the tennis *****. I can tend to let my focus return to what is in front of me instead of what is ahead and it is amazing how fast your bike follows your direction of focus. With cones or whatever it really draws my attention.!

I need to really turn my head as has been stated.

I will practice somewhere almost any time I ride, there is a school up the street and I swing in the empty lot and do some tight turns and figure 8's until I get a little dizzy !
There are so many instances on the bike where being able to really control the bike comes in handy. If I were 10% as good as those motorcycle officers I would be happy. Those folks can ride !

I would love to be able to attend some training-bucket list !

Quick Reply: Can you handle a big bike?