Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you handle a big bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014 | 07:40 AM
Gambat
Advanced

I think or thought I was a pretty good rider but not that good!!! I’m to afraid of the dumps while practicing and the cost of repairs. Anyone that can do that has got my attention if they were giving pointers.

Old 04-01-2014 | 10:11 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

Always enjoy watching those videos. I would love to be able to throw my bike around like that.

Old 04-01-2014 | 10:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by marvincbr
Always enjoy watching those videos. I would love to be able to throw my bike around like that.
I suspect the secret lies in getting paid to ride like that!

Old 04-01-2014 | 10:26 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

...and under 2 minutes! I'd be lucky if I can do it in under 20. I wonder if that LEO was the winner.

Old 04-01-2014 | 10:29 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Big Boz
That is some great riding.

I watched it a second time focusing on his upper torso and listening to the revs.

His upper torso stays pretty vertical as the bike alone leans.
The revs sound like he's using a lot of rear brake drag.

I need LOTS and LOTS more practice.

I can do a lot of it as I took the ride like a pro exercises and practiced for a year. Jerry at ride like a pro reviewed the tapes I sent him and provided guidance. I bought the bar protectors from him as well. The trick to doing it well is clutch friction point, rear brake and a few other thinks like don't look down. I now have a new water cooled Ultra and I am nervous about practising using it as I can't remove the lowers. After a lot of practise it becomes fairly easy. The LEOs you see doing the exercises make me look like an amatuer and I am not yet as good as Jerry's 100 pound he tells me. I would like to get better at counter steering on winding twisty roads. Does anybody have suggestions on how to do this? It seems I have trouble pushing the bar at times. My hand that is not pushing kinda gets nervous and is pushing against my other arm.

Old 04-01-2014 | 11:11 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Am4wag
I noticed the bars too.Like Heritage bars or the such.Outstanding riding though.
Police Road Kings come from the factory with Heritage bars.

Old 04-01-2014 | 11:15 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain

looks like fun! Lots of practice and not worrying about the bike falling over helps !!

Old 04-01-2014 | 11:35 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Where can you find a class around your location that teaches you to ride like that?

Old 04-01-2014 | 11:38 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Well the fuzz does get to practice on John Q's dime but those skills might come in handy if they were trying to rundown someone who just raped your old lady. As much as most fuzz these days are ****** and looking at everyone as being scum, being a law abiding citizen I am glad they are there for us.

You would be amazed that just by watching and reading the friction zone techniques then going out to practice how much better your slow speed maneuvering skills improve.
You do not have to be as extreme as fuzzy in the video is riding to become better.
Keep your fingers off the front brake lever for sure. I have not taken a course since the 80's but have watched portions of the Ride Like a Pro and read about it as well and I do practice sometimes, I ride circles around everybody I ride with !! haha.

Old 04-01-2014 | 11:40 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Where can you find a class around your location that teaches you to ride like that?
Join a PD that has MC patrol. Then spend lots of time dropping the bike learning.

The technique is the same as Ride like a Pro or other MC riding course teach you. The practice is more intense and most folks don't go to the edge because they don't want to drop their bike.

Quick Reply: Can you handle a big bike?