Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning when replacing or adjusting bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Sprinter7x
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning when replacing or adjusting bars

Put new bars on my "14" ultra a couple of days ago.Today the wife and saddled up to ride.When pulling out of my driveway and turning onto the street at a crawl,I killed the bike just after getting my feet on the floorboards.Of course the bike instantly stopped and starting tipping over as I had the front wheel turned and the road surface wasn't level.I quickly put my foot down and was pulling on the handlebars to keep the bike from falling and my handlebars slipped in the mount.The handlebars folded all the way down and the bike went ahead and tipped over.After standing the bike back up I was easily able to push the bars back in position.I took everything apart to get at the handlebar mount and bolts.Now I have never been one to under tighten anything,I'm known for the opposite to tend to overtighten if anything.I was able to tighten each bolt an additional 1/3 to 1/2 turn.I believe the bolts may have stretched.Whatever the case,I would let the bolts sit for a few hrs. or overnight then retorque them before putting everything back together.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing your story... I will add that if you torqued them to spec, you would not have had that problem.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprinter7x
Put new bars on my "14" ultra a couple of days ago.Today the wife and saddled up to ride.When pulling out of my driveway and turning onto the street at a crawl,I killed the bike just after getting my feet on the floorboards.Of course the bike instantly stopped and starting tipping over as I had the front wheel turned and the road surface wasn't level.I quickly put my foot down and was pulling on the handlebars to keep the bike from falling and my handlebars slipped in the mount.The handlebars folded all the way down and the bike went ahead and tipped over.After standing the bike back up I was easily able to push the bars back in position.I took everything apart to get at the handlebar mount and bolts.Now I have never been one to under tighten anything,I'm known for the opposite to tend to overtighten if anything.I was able to tighten each bolt an additional 1/3 to 1/2 turn.I believe the bolts may have stretched.Whatever the case,I would let the bolts sit for a few hrs. or overnight then retorque them before putting everything back together.
Sounds like you need riding lessons and a good mechanic...Thanks for the warning?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Lobo45
Cruiser

A little loctite always helps. Hope no serious damage was done.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

you didn't say what bars you put on. if you put apes, or even mini apes, the extended length of the bars will give you an insane amount of leverage to pull those bars out of adjustment or even bend them.

something like that (brakes, handlebars, axle nuts, etc) i will use the manual for the correct torque spec. other bolts that aren't as critical, then i'll use german specs (good-n-tite)

Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending how well the bars I install are knurled, I've actually drilled the inside of the clamp and bars and pinned them to each other on bars/clamps that aren't knurled at all or I feel aren't tight enough for my liking.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Sprinter7x
Cruiser

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Sounds like you need riding lessons and a good mechanic...Thanks for the warning?
If you've never killed a bike taking off you haven't been riding long.I came off a RK like your riding,and believe me the ultras and limiteds are much more top heavy,when they start to go over they go over quick.If the bars hadn't slipped it wouldn't have went down,I had it handled until then.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Sprinter7x
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Thanks for sharing your story... I will add that if you torqued them to spec, you would not have had that problem.
They were torqued to specs,now they are tighter and don't move.After comparing the knurled surface where you tighten the bars down I don't believe my new bars are as rough there as the stock bars.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Slab1648
Novice

Just Put 14 inch Wild 1 chubbys on mine and I had the same problem after I put mine on, Luckily I had already thought of the leverage the extended bars would cause, math geek in school, and I intentionally did it to see if they would move. I retightened them several times and if I feel it is a continued concern, I am going in with new bolts and a solid handlebar clamp instead of the two piece that came stock on my electra glide. I think the mor surface area touching the bars will make them stronger.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Sprinter7x
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Slab1648
Just Put 14 inch Wild 1 chubbys on mine and I had the same problem after I put mine on, Luckily I had already thought of the leverage the extended bars would cause, math geek in school, and I intentionally did it to see if they would move. I retightened them several times and if I feel it is a continued concern, I am going in with new bolts and a solid handlebar clamp instead of the two piece that came stock on my electra glide. I think the mor surface area touching the bars will make them stronger.
If mine ever move again I'm going to drill and pin them.

Quick Reply: Warning when replacing or adjusting bars