Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery, Jump or not to Jump

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 PM
roost812
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery, Jump or not to Jump

Right, so this morning my wife and I went out on my steed (RKC) to meet my brothers and their wife's for breakfast and then after ride out from there. Well on my arrival I forgot to switch off the ignition switch and yup dead battery. So I call Auto club and I had the option to attempt a jump start but not before signing a waiver. So I elected to tow it home, (first 70 miles free) and out comes the charger. So the question to you guys is would you jump or not and what other option is there for a dead battery? Thanks..

Old 03-29-2014, 10:42 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

A jump from a car may be just fine if the cars ignition is off. A tow truck has much more powerful ignition than a car. The little battery and wires on your bike would fry if you took a jump start from a tow truck.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
A jump from a car may be just fine if the cars ignition is off. A tow truck has much more powerful ignition than a car. The little battery and wires on your bike would fry if you took a jump start from a tow truck.
12 volt is 12 volt. I called the road service from my insurance company when I had a dead battery. When the tow truck arrived, ready to load my scooter on his flatbed, I just had him turn off his truck and showed him how to attach the jumper cables.

After my scooter started immediately, I had him follow me about the two miles to my house. Then I used a trickle charger to charge my battery. That was several months ago, and even though I rarely ride more then once a week due to health problems, my battery is working and holding a charge fine.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

I'd have tried to jump it. Won't hurt anything if you hook a 12v battery to another 12V battery, assuming you don't cross polarity or something like that. Wouldn't need to have the jump vehicle running. If the bike starts, off you go. Riding it will charge the battery. If the jump didn't work, towing is still an option.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:18 PM
little5150
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get on, Have the wife push, and pop it in 2nd. It called a push start. Now that's old school. LOL

Old 03-29-2014, 11:32 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by little5150
Get on, Have the wife push, and pop it in 2nd. It called a push start. Now that's old school. LOL
I'm not sure what scooter that the OP has, but I think that a battery is needed to power a fuel pump. A push start may not be useful in this case.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I'm not sure what scooter that the OP has, but I think that a battery is needed to power a fuel pump. A push start may not be useful in this case.
yep, if it's fuel injected, you have to have enough juice in the battery to power the fuel pump and the ecu. if not, you're gonna wear yourself out pushing that thing all over the parking lot.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 PM
little5150
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rjg883c
It happen to a friend of mine, he had 2012 ultra. He left his light on, battery was dead. So we turned everything off waited about 15 minute let the battery settle, then turned on the ignition and push started it and it started.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:59 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by roost812
Well on my arrival I forgot to switch off the ignition switch and yup dead battery.
My other half did the same thing.....left her ignition switch on when we went into a restaurant for dinner and when we came out an hour plus later it was deader than a door nail. Tow driver got it started with one of those hand-held jumper boxes. Got it back to the hotel and put in on a battery tender overnight, all was fine the next morning.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 AM
make it faster
Advanced

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
My other half did the same thing.....left her ignition switch on when we went into a restaurant for dinner and when we came out an hour plus later it was deader than a door nail. Tow driver got it started with one of those hand-held jumper boxes. Got it back to the hotel and put in on a battery tender overnight, all was fine the next morning.
So this implies that you travel with a battery tender. I never would have thought to carry one on a long trip. Not a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Battery, Jump or not to Jump