Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with CD Dynamic Ringz

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014 | 08:46 PM
spr0k3t
|
Tourer
Default Problem with CD Dynamic Ringz

Let me preface this by saying the support over at Custom Dynamics is absolutely awesome. They have been trying to help with the installation of the CD Dynamic Ringz. I have the two ringz that work without problems in the right bullet blinker, but I get nothing on the left side. I know these are supposed to be direct drop in and go for the 2014 bikes, but not having any luck.

So, wanted to press the minds of the intarwebz and see if anyone else has some ideas.

Old 03-29-2014 | 09:00 PM
xhere
Road Captain

Have you tried swapping them to see if the known good one works?

Old 03-29-2014 | 09:04 PM
robo74
Cruiser

He mentioned they both work on one side, but nothing on the other. I just installed on my 13, but not familiar with 14... Good luck. Hopefully they can get it figured out, they are good folks.

Old 03-29-2014 | 09:06 PM
HDThunder
Cruiser

My thought is this. The Dynamic Ring is obviously fine if it works in the right side. If the incandescent bulb works in the left side but not the LED then your wiring is backwards on that side. LED's are polarity sensitive and incandescent bulbs are not. I had this problem when installing CD turn signal LEDs on both sides in the rear of my bike. They were both wired backwards from the factory. Flipped the pins in the connectors behind the taillight and the LEDs work fine. You can verify this by comparing the wiring between the left and right signal and seeing if it's reversed. I believe you'll need to remove the outer fairing to get to the connectors.

Old 03-29-2014 | 09:07 PM
BigTKC
Cruiser

How about the simple stuff first....

If they are 1156 like my 08, make sure they are inserted into the socket in the right orientation. I almost put one in wrong as the nubs on the socket are at different levels and won't lock in properly if they're 180 degrees off. Remove any excess dielectric grease...too much can prevent the LED's from working.

Other than that, I'll defer to those more knowledgeable than I.

Old 03-29-2014 | 09:37 PM
spr0k3t
|
Tourer

Thanks for the inputs. I've removed the grease and even scraped the connection inside. The bulbs on the 2014 models are 1157, so they will only fit one way. If the connection was 180, the blinker bulb would be bright until hitting the blinker or hazards, then it would dim.

Thanks for the idea on that HDThunder, something I'm going to look into. Does anyone know where the wire traces back to?

Old 03-30-2014 | 11:09 AM
spr0k3t
|
Tourer

So here's a couple shots of the cables at the harness. The colors matched on the other side of things. My first warranty service is coming up quick so I may just have them take a look at the issue at the dealership.

Attached Thumbnails Problem with CD Dynamic Ringz-img_20140330_100117.jpg   Problem with CD Dynamic Ringz-img_20140330_100219.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014 | 11:33 AM
HDThunder
Cruiser

I'm trying to tell from your pictures exactly what you're showing. Is that left vs. right? Is that the signal light side of the connector? I know you say they "matched on the other side of things." Unless I'm looking at it incorrectly one side vs. the other is -

white/black-black-purple-blue
white/black-purple-black-blue

Old 03-30-2014 | 11:41 AM
BigTKC
Cruiser

Looks like the purple and black are reversed on the second photo???

your's is a 14 and may be different. On my 08, the wiring diagram has both directional wires in the same order at that harness.

1-Blue
2-Violet
3-Black
4-GY/BK - (your's is white)

your second photo looks like

1-Blue
2-Black
3-Violet
4-White

Recommend you have your dealer check, but I suspect that's the issue.

Old 03-30-2014 | 11:48 AM
Animal_
Advanced
Default Swap blue/purple

What HDThunder said. Had the same problem. LED's are positive/negative polarity; incand. lights are not. Takes just a couple seconds to pop the pins and swap to check.

Last edited by Animal_; 03-30-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelt chek

Quick Reply: Problem with CD Dynamic Ringz