Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with installing Stock Pushrod Covers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
sp9997
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with installing Stock Pushrod Covers.

So with the weather a bit decent in the chicagoland area I am trying to get my winter mods done. I just installed the Andrews 48 cam and Gatermans 1023 lifters with Fuelmoto adjustable pushrods.

I am having a bi**ch of a time getting the stock pushrod covers installed. I cannot get the stupid "spring cap retainer" on. I am not sure anymore if I am doing it right. I tried looking at fuelmoto install videos and the install part 8 cuts off right before installing the spring cap. the install document with the pushrod dont say much either....

I know many of you have installed Fuelmoto kits yourself... someone please enlighten me of an easier way to do this ... Please....

Attached Thumbnails Need help with installing Stock Pushrod Covers.-pushrod.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Stick the top of the clip up into the slider that goes into the head. Using a small flat blade screwdriver, place the blade under the clip and over the cup. As you lever the cup down, push the bottom of the clip into place.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:57 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As q.c. said plus Index finger under flat blade of screwdriver against lower tube. Thumb pushes clip in place as you lever the bottom tube down. It's a one handed job.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 998 Posts

And you need to make sure the tubes are seated correctly in the orings and the orings are seated in their recesses. It still takes some effort.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:15 AM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah those can be a bitch. Just went through this about a month ago with an adjustable push rod install. Doing this with only two hands is tough.

Anyway, one thing I did was take a length of nylon weed eater line, threaded it around back and on top of the spring cup/cap/cover whatever ya call it, so that I could get some extra leverage pulling and holding that thing down with one hand while putting the hold down clip in above it with the other hand. Took a few attempts but finally got it. I think I saw somewhere that someone makes a tool for this.

I started to use the screw driver in the slot method but my tubes are powder coated and tried to find a different way to get this done with causing an Oppps moment, slip and watch myself put a scratch on something.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:34 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BillinSC
Yeah those can be a bitch. Just went through this about a month ago with an adjustable push rod install. Doing this with only two hands is tough.

Anyway, one thing I did was take a length of nylon weed eater line, threaded it around back and on top of the spring cup/cap/cover whatever ya call it, so that I could get some extra leverage pulling and holding that thing down with one hand while putting the hold down clip in above it with the other hand. Took a few attempts but finally got it. I think I saw somewhere that someone makes a tool for this.

I started to use the screw driver in the slot method but my tubes are powder coated and tried to find a different way to get this done with causing an Oppps moment, slip and watch myself put a scratch on something.
Absolutely agree with powdercoated tubes, however the chrome finish is very forgiving. I still say it's a one handed effort. Your other hand will just find a way to muck up a very simple process. Simple, that is, when you figure the trick out as I described above. First one took me a half-hour. Next three in seconds.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:09 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

S&S and J&P both have a couple of youtube vids for changing push rods that show putting the covers back at the end of the video. I struggled for a bit with the first one then remembered how it was done in the video, pretty easy after that...

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0255/

Makes life easier and it's another tool for the box.....

The following users liked this post:
HARDWAY90 (04-27-2020)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:56 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0255/

Makes life easier and it's another tool for the box.....
+1 on the Motionpro, absolutely the best tool I have found for pushrod cover installation. Takes all the strain out of it and it keeps your tubes from getting scratched up.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

I'm usually the guy that will by the one-use tool but seriously, this is not a "tool" job. Once you get it, literally 2 seconds each tube. Anyway, if the tool makes it easier for you, go for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quick Reply: Need help with installing Stock Pushrod Covers.