Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM
prezflyr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel question

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic. I just installed a K&N RK-3939 air cleaner system yesterday. I went for a 300 mile ride today and bike ran fine. Pulled the plugs and they look great. If I put a set of slip on mufflers , will I need to do any fuel mapping or will I be ok ? I did nothing but ride after the K&N was installed.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:18 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes, if you replace air cleaner AND slip ons you should put a fuel manager/map on the bike. If it's both you need to adjust.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonhdguy
Yes, if you replace air cleaner AND slip ons you should put a fuel manager/map on the bike. If it's both you need to adjust.
Correct. You can swap an AC all you wish to do. Mufflers and pipes are a totally different animal. The stock exhaust is what we have found holds things in check, not the AC. AC will only flow as much as the exhaust will allow.

Swap into different exhaust, you will, indeed, need to do something.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:34 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by prezflyr
I have a 2009 Ultra Classic. I just installed a K&N RK-3939 air cleaner system yesterday. I went for a 300 mile ride today and bike ran fine. Pulled the plugs and they look great. If I put a set of slip on mufflers , will I need to do any fuel mapping or will I be ok ? I did nothing but ride after the K&N was installed.
It will run hot. I would at least add a pair of XIED's

Old 03-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

there isn't a bike out there that doesn't need a tuner to correct the EPA mandated lean condition that is known as "factory tune"

Add more air to the mix by a high flow air cleaner, and you are making it leaner, change the exhaust also requires "fattening it up" IMHO.

Now as for what tuner.... that is for another thread.... unless you want this to go 400 posts long

Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Add the xieds

Old 03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
prezflyr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know nothing about these tuners so is this a trip to the stealership once I purchase the slip on mufflers?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 PM
BigTKC
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend you do some homework and research. Lot's of good info here on the forum (a whole lot) on tuner options and a ton of opinions. It really comes down to what you want out of your bike. Some are simple plug and play and others are very sophisticated....

My opinion, FWIW....if you go to the dealer, you will likely come back with a lighter wallet and the dreaded stage 1 download.....and longing for more.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prezflyr
I know nothing about these tuners so is this a trip to the stealership once I purchase the slip on mufflers?
Do some searching. Lots of info here, but it really comes down to what your goals are for the bike. If stage 1 is it, the inline fields type richening device may be fine. Simple plug and play, inexpensive but limited in what you can do. Higher end tuners such as Powervision allow for very detailed tuning of dozens of parameters. Expensive, but necessary for more extensive engine mods. HD has downloads for various options as well, but pay every time you do another set of upgrades. Other folks will probably offer up other options

Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Minimum XiED's, or a Stage I download form your local stealer.

Quick Reply: fuel question