Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New addition to the broken cam bearing story

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile New addition to the broken cam bearing story

If you havent followed my other post about pulling my inner cam bearings and having one come apart. I was all set because I couldnt find the missing pieces to take the bike over to my friends who is pretty much an expert on Harleys to have the motor pulled and split the cases and find the missing parts. While gathering up pieces and parts to load for the trip i was moving about the garage and looked down and to my surprise I see the missing needle from the bearing.. I picked it up and set it on the work bench with the bearing and one piece of the retainer that I had initially found. When pulling the bike apart I dropped an exhaust nut and I was sure it must be laying on the jack. I had pulled the jack so I went looking on the jack and while wiping some oil of from it I see what looks like another piece of the retainer from the bearing and sure nuff it was. Thinking to my self this is crazy and I d bet a bunch of money that the last piece of the retainer was in the crank case. I went over to the bench and studied the bearing and confirmed there was 1 needle missing a 3 pieces of the retaining cage missing. Bummer I thought but thats my luck so I just cost myself a bunch of cash to get this fixed. For some reason I turned around and looked down and WTF there lying in front of me was the last piece of the puzzle. I picked up all my stuff and pressed the new inner bearings in and called it a day . I needed a drink
I finished the assembly yesterday and fired it up. Wow it sounds good and with the S/E cam plate and pump its got some nice oil pressure although I do expect it to maybe drop off a bit as it wears in but man I am stoked and I can keep a bunch of my money now.
The are saying 62 on Monday and I an going to make a test run I hope .

Old 03-29-2014, 09:43 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Good for you! That should make your weekend.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 181 Likes on 136 Posts

Glad to hear it all worked out well.