Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic vs SG Special

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 PM
MRKWMSN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic vs SG Special

Never owned an HD before. I was set to test and buy an SG Special because of the bagger look. I had roughed out about $1,500 in accessories to set it up the way I wanted. Someone suggested the UC was a superior bike and that I could remove the trunk to get the bagger look. Besides it already has most of the accessories I was looking for. I'm a little concerned by the extra weight of the UC. I ride solo and will set either bike up with a solo seat and rack on the back.

Has anyone owned both bikes?

Does the Ultra Classic make a good bagger?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by MRKWMSN; 03-27-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 PM
rnothog
Tourer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've currently got a '12 Ultra, and formerly owned an '06 Street Glide.

Like the Ultra's Tour Pak, the passing lamps, the CB, intercom, 7 pin audio jack, lighting, and the taller windshield. Not bugged by the lowers, but they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I put passing lamps and a taller windshield on my Street Glide.

Model year product improvements aside, I think the Steet Glide is a better looking bike. And I think the Ultra has better equipment. My Ultra is equipped with the removable Tour Pak option, and it works nicely. Eventually, I'll lose the chrome bag guard rails and the front bumper, and relocate the license plate.

The Street Glide, with the lowered rear end, was a little more harsh, and the Ultra is a little more top heavy. At 6-0, the Ultra seat places me too close to the bars, so I got the HD Hammock. Street Glide stock seat was actually OK.

Touring on either is fine. The sissy bar bag I used with the Street Glide was easy to take off and carry in as luggage, and I now use the luggage that came with the Ultra.

Get the one you like best, and you'll modify what you don't like or want.

Street Glide was easier to keep clean, since there's less of it.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 AM
digdug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you ride solo get a SG. Just get a luggage rack and a bag if you need storage

Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

all the touring models share the same frame, forks, motor, tranny, brakes etc.

the real differences is the amount of plastic hanging off it, radio & number of speakers, wheels and some badges.

the FLHX has 12" rear shocks- an inch lower, 2/3 the travel of the Ultra, not only less travel but less time for that suspension to work- so stiff.

many of us get a barge and strip it down....in my case i swap seats, 12" shocks, SG pass pegs, and some other stuff.

( mine is an 09 FLHTC Electraglide Classic, no longer available, different trim than the ultra, no cb radio, no rear speakers, no tourpak lights.)

when i tour, the tourpak, ultra seat and 13" shocks go on ( this takes about 30 minutes, usually packing up to tour takes a few hours anyway)
along with my tent and...

more than one way to skin a cat, the real thing about a Harley is making it your own.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-28-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

These touring bikes are like giant, continent crossing tinker toys (meant in a nice way)

You can put them together in so many ways that you can get exactly the right bike for you.

No wrong way, and only you can decide what will be yours.

Most everyone on the forum will say their bike is the best...the best for them, but maybe not the best for you.

Only after you have spent some time on your bike will the best combination become apparent.

Reading this forum can help in speeding up the process.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:22 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

If you can, test ride.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Ultra all the way. You get more bang for your buck and you can just put on a quick release for the tour pack

Old 03-28-2014, 04:27 AM
harleywern
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 2011 Street Glide and dumped a bucket full of money into it. In the end I almost had a SG Ultra. But I was never really happy with the bike. The low suspension was bad for my back. My wife did not feel comfy. After a year, I got what I should have bought in the first place. 2012 Ultra Classic and I'm a happy man again.
Different story with the 2014 models. Here in Europe the Ultra Classic is liquid cooled. I do not want a water cooled Harley. Therefore I had to take a SG and add what I would need. Cross your fingers that my Ultra will last until I have to quit riding.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:58 AM
nuages
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both............or at least I have one bike...a Uk Model Street Glide that has all the bells and whistles of an Ultra Limited....except the cooling, that is. For the money the Classic is the best choice....yes heavier but you can strip it down. Go with the 13'' HD premium shocks....huge difference in comfort and handling.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:15 AM
lowbed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had to do it over I would look long and hard at the Ultra.

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic vs SG Special