Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing one of the front rotors/calipers good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 04:44 PM
onlythebest
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing one of the front rotors/calipers good or bad?

I have been thinking about removing the right front brake rotor and caliper on my SG. My only reason is to improve the lookand show off more of the front wheel. HD put two rotors on the bike for a reason so I would liketo hear pro's and con's of doing this. Also from anyone that has done this I would appreciate any removal instructions or problems you ran into.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:02 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Default RE: Removing one of the front rotors/calipers good or bad?

I wouldnot do it.There are two rotors there for a reason. That is a big heavy bike and I would not risk my safety for a better look.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I HATE preachy people so I guess this makes me a hypocrite, but here goes anyway...Assuming the kid in your pic depends on you in some way, I think he would suggest that you not reduce your ability to stop your bike in an emergency. To consider removing a front brake just to make the bike pretty is IMO asinine. I know, I'm a jerk....but you asked.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:25 PM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

I HATE preachy people so I guess this makes me a hypocrite, but here goes anyway...Assuming the kid in your pic depends on you in some way, I think he would suggest that you not reduce your ability to stop your bike in an emergency. To consider removing a front brake just to make the bike pretty is IMO asinine. I know, I'm a jerk....but you asked.
No problem point taken.
Its really not asinine when I truely have no clue if its a good or bad idea thats why I wanted the advice. I would really like to hear a technicalexpert commenton it not just someones opinion.I got the idea from other bikes a great number of them in fact. Although most of the ones I saw with a single caliper were not baggers. I am also looking into the 360 brake which may be a safer option. Your right I asked! I dont do anything unless I research it first and the best place to start is with the forum.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2007, 06:19 PM
kurtlange
Tourer

you can buy the heritage softail and put a tourpack on it. it only has 1 front brake...

i don't see any reason why you couldn't run 1 front brake on yours.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 PM
DAWG_6
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got two up front on my FLHR and new FLHTC.....they are up there for a reason...our heavy bikes need them.....and BTW, I've seen all the photos of your bike.....you don't need to worry about it looking any better!! It looks fantastic! Granted, the one caliper would show off the wheel better, but it would reduce your safety.....

Old 03-24-2007, 06:26 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

I agree with not cutting your braking ability in half. But there are other options. Like the 360 brake. I have read good reviews many places about it. Also other aftermarket brake calipers and rotors that use better than stock design and for that matter look much better. There are many multi-piston calipers available which should give you near or better than stock with just one side.

Lets face it....your future is worth the price of upgrading to better brakes instead of just removing one side. Check out the many options and I am sure you can find the best and safest way to show off those great rims,

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 03-24-2007, 06:27 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Heck, remove both of them, then rename the bike to "Slipping into darkness....yea aehha"... as in the song...

Just kidding...

Not a good Idea, If you want to Show Off the front rim, go with the 360 brake system....

Old 03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removed one of mine Rob, and added a performance machine 6 piston caliper to the other side to help offset the loss. You gotta ask yourself do you wants looks, or do you want the bike to stop better in an emergency. I voted for looks!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:37 PM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Don't do it. Plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Removing one of the front rotors/calipers good or bad?