Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner Sticks Out To Far....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 PM
randy98ss
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cleaner Sticks Out To Far....

Hi Guys,

I bought and installed a Kuryakyn Mach 2 air cleaner on my 13 SG and the problem I am having is it sticks out to far. It rubs against my leg and it makes it uncomfortable to put my foot on the floor boards. I even have the extensions for the floor boards. So, I have several questions:

1. Do all the round air cleaners stick out the same distance?

2. Would I have the same problem if I installed another round air cleaner from a different manufacturer?

3. Am I regulated to only using the football shaped air cleaners?

4. If I switch manufacturers, then would I need to have the bike dyno tuned again? It is already dyno tuned with the Mach 2 air cleaner.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

deleted

Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

I had the same air cleaner on my 11 SG, and didn't like it for the same reason. I replaced it with a Roland Sands contrast cut air cleaner and I have no issues now. While I was trying to live with the mach 2, I got a wider rear brake pedal pad. It made reaching the brake pedal much easier.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather, had for me ,by far the most leg clearance. It wasn't even close.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

Here is the DK Custom 587 on my Heritage, they state it sticks out 2" versus stock is 3". I added the tri-speed nut which sticks out a little further but was what I liked. I would imagine the tune would be very similar since bot hare high flow A/C's.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:53 PM
RickK
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a PM on my 2010 SG and i have the same issue.

Rick

Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM
randy98ss
Advanced

Originally Posted by pjb
I had the same air cleaner on my 11 SG, and didn't like it for the same reason. I replaced it with a Roland Sands contrast cut air cleaner and I have no issues now. While I was trying to live with the mach 2, I got a wider rear brake pedal pad. It made reaching the brake pedal much easier.
Did you know if the Rolands Sands was going to solve the problem or did you take a shot in the dark? I looked at a lot of specs but do not see a measurement for how far it sticks out.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Screaming Eagle Ventilator and have no issues with leg clearance. It actually gives you quite a bit more clearance than the football cover. I use floorboard extensions as well.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 PM
randy98ss
Advanced

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather, had for me ,by far the most leg clearance. It wasn't even close.
I would think this would have the least amount clearance. Would I be wrong?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Randy, the pics above are of an earlier model which doesn't have the servo motor, plug and wiring that we do on the late models.

consider that.

I use a ness big sucker, the chrome backing plate version will run you about $120 on ebay from easternpc.
it is an easy quick install and uses a washable, oiled filter media.

it also uses the stock football cover, clearance is not a problem....I like to keep my knees to the tank, I can do that.
why? decreases valvetrain noise & keeps hot air from the motor, moving below my thigh and it keeps on going.

the heavy breather, i do not like, it pushes my leg out and I can't control the rear brake as I would like

mike

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner Sticks Out To Far....