Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Doobs41378
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with CL. There are some donkeys but I have sold many things on there. What I find is pictures are a must and put your phone number only ( no email address ) if they are serious they will call you and you will avoid all the "dis still avalble." emails from said donkeys.....

Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 PM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx y'all. I'll give CL a try.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cycletrader, it is free and lots of people search it. I sold my Roadglide on it, closed the deal last friday. Good luck

Old 03-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not do them all if it's free?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Primetime_2
you'll probably have to weed through some idiots and lowballers
Agreed, Craig's list is free but every time I listed something and a buyer contacts me the first question is about lowering the cost vs about the item being sold. Other than that I would give it a try.......usually it's local folks so you don't have the long distance issue as in EBay.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:20 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I have sold two Harleys on CL in February at the asking price. In both cases I only got one interested call and in both cases they paid cash without test riding the bike. I think that says something about Harleys. The buyer for my 09 Ultra drove from another state through a snow storm to get the bike because he was afraid I would sell it. He wanted the Turquoise/antique white Ultra and mine was the closest he could find.

Beary

Old 03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a lot of experience with eBay and Craigslist. I bought a bike off eBay, drove to GA and picked it up. later sold it on Craigslist. Bought my latest one off eBay and drove to IL to pick it up. No problems. The pro's of selling on eBay are this: You have a much bigger market and more people will see it. Unless your asking a couple grand under retail value or it's unique, you probably won't sell it. The con: if you do sell it through the auction, the seller fees can be close to $200. Craigslist of course is by city and listing is free. No fee's whatsoever. The easiest way to weed out the so called weirdo's is only have them contact you by email. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they write. You are not obligate to respond to every email you get so just ignore low baller's and dumbaszess. I don't recommend meeting someone to far away from home and if you do meet someone, meet them somewhere like a Lowe's or Home depot parking lot. As for price, again don't expect to get full retail value for it. Price it about $500 to $1k over your bottom dollar. People take pride in saying "well he was asking this but I got it for this"... No matter how good the deal is. I recently found on a buyer from eBay for a truck (closed the deal in person and with cash) but had to come down $200 from $10k to make him feel better about it.

Last edited by fordhd2005; 03-25-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Craigslist is a great place to list

Cycle trader ( free ad)

and the Classifieds here at the Forums.

I have used all 3 both when buying and selling bikes.

I meet possible buyers at a location with security cameras, I ask them to call me once they are there- many just do not show up.

And that is ok, don't get wound up by no-shows

No test rides- i did offer a 24 hour approval period with a limit of 100 miles.
after full purchase price was paid.
I also offered "tech support" for the electrical mods and tuning mods on my bike.

put together a nice package with documentation, craigslist allows up to 24 pics now- use that.
Be honest and price correctly

kbb.com is a good pricing reference, fair private party price will be a little more than 1/2 way between trade-in and retail values

ebay just doesn;t work for me, I had a few bad experiences buying stuff, I listed 2 collector cars on ebay and had the same number of weirdo questions and BS...then the winning bidders never came through...so i had to go thru the hassle with eBay, they wanted me to keep relisting so that could get their fees. in the end i sold locally on craigslist.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-25-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The nice thing about ebay is you set your minimum and if more than one person wants it you can get more than your selling price. I sold a 71 Triumph there and ended up with $900 bucks more than I would have asked for it. I specified pick up only. It is now in New Zealand.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I was a commercial fisherman...

I would put out as many lines as I could run. Might be a good idea for selling something also?

Quick Reply: Selling