Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped the bike...... ..in s l o w M o T I O N

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:33 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Dropped the bike...... ..in s l o w M o T I O N

SO I want to stop the bike to look at some horses near my home. The bike beats the kickstand to the ground.....I know its going down so I .slowly c lay it down.

A guy on a horse sees me and asks if I need help. I say hang tight while I try this thing I saw a little girl do......... while I try to remember how that 110 girl picked up Jerry Motoman's RK up. Grab the handlebars and bag guard and pull......nope. So after a while I am a monkey F^76ing a football and finally ask the guy for some help.

We right the bike and I profusely thank him and sheepishly tell him..."new bike" and tell him I seen a 110lb girl lift this bike up and I am going home and going to practice until I get it.

So I laid some carpet in the garage. Told the wife to stand by, took a look at the YouTube video and practiced lifting the bike on the kickstand side (because it takes more weight juggling to get the stand down.)

Success!!!

Never had a bike this heavy so I was taken by the weight, But I have it down now and will keep practicing this now and then because I know I will drop it again unless I can find an extension for the jiffy stand. Its tough to get at it to kick it out.

If I was at a crowded Waffle House I would have just left it as if "yeah I park it like that"

How many of you guys have practiced lifting a tipped bike?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I practice...my back is screwed, I gotta lift it smart, not fast.

mike

Old 03-25-2014, 12:57 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I practice...my back is screwed, I gotta lift it smart, not fast.

mike
Thats my fear. Pulling something out of whack not using the correct fulcrum.
As long as the tires are not slipping its doable albeit slowly at first.

Have to say the engine guards work well in keeping painted pieces off the deck

Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw a article YEARS ago on how to pickup a bike. I read it. It seemed like a neat trick to know and over the years I have had to do it a few times. Do not practice it, just knowing about it saved my *** a couple of times. now into my 60's I shure a heck do not want to do it unless it is absolutely necessary!!!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I practiced for a month and a half before I actually rode it on the road...

First ride, after nephew rode my RK home for me. Draggin both feet all the way, four blocks down road in front of house. Sat in garage for a few weeks while I tried to figure out if I wanted to trike the bike, or get rid of it. Got pissed, and began ridin it around in circles in back yard behind privacy fence. After a month and a half, I thought I was ready for the road...

Rode the bike from the garage to the front gate. Went to drop the kick stand, and it went over on the right. Before the bike hit the ground, I was off of it and pulling it upright again. Guess that month and a half in back yard paid off. Didn't even realize I was also building old muscles up again.

Then, a few months later, coming to a stop light, undecided which way I was going. Go straight, or turn right? Last minute, I decided to turn right. Light still red. As I come to a stop, I was holding just the front brake. Knew that was a mistake, but it was too late. Just like a 'keystone cop' moment. The bike slowly leans over to the right, and goes beyond the stopping point before I can do anything. Me, holding on with everything I had in me!

People behind me must have gotten a really good laugh! I can imagine what it must have looked like. I did manage to pick the bike up without help. I hope they were just as impressed, with that feat, as I was!

Last edited by Def Mute; 03-25-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:42 AM
banjoplayer2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I ride with a above the knee right prosthetic. Almost exclusive front brake. You want that wheel straight when your slow. I've dropped bikes in front of any kind of crowd you can name. Bars, gas stations, HD dealerships name it!
I'm fast to get to my feet and can bring my RKC up myself, but bystanders always beat me there. Your supposed to put your back against the seat when you lift.
You talk about looks when they see my leg twisted :-) In front of a biker bar in Michigan I dropped mine backing in. These three huge Iron workers jumped the porch rail, and run over. When they see my leg before I can tell them its not broke; two lift the entire bike off the ground while a third pulled me clear.
When everybody calmed down we all had a good laugh and I bought them boys a round.
It's embarrassing but your in good company. :-) I read all the time here about people dropping their new bikes leaving the dealership, first stop light, watching those screens on the "limited" etc. It happens!

I always feel like that "Benny Hill' pedaling that little trike and tipping over.
What don't kill you makes you stronger right?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Having a coffee with a friend at starbucks the other day, nice BMW bike with bags, white wall tires crash bars sitting in the car park I was admiring it while sipping my coffee and this guy comes over to it rolls it back form the parking space to ride off and drops it.

Watched him try to lift it but he wasn't able to so went and helped him, was a heavy bike too.

I remember in my days driving tow trucks lifting heavy bikes by myself at crashes all the time, so I know the technique but haven't had to use it on my own bike thankfully.

Last edited by Tanuki; 03-25-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:19 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Don't drop it in the sand.

I can't dead lift 600 lbs. Last time I was unloading in the back yard (soft sugar sand) and as I came off the ramp with my feet in the air the back wheel hit the sand and stopped dead. I lost balance and it fell over in the sand. No way was I able to even roll it over to where the wheels were touching.
I got out the old '49 Farmall tractor and tied off to the handle bars and the sissy bar and slowly rolled it up til I could get on it and roll it the rest of the way on to the jiffy stand.
Out in the country you have to do whatever is necessary to "gitter dun". No damage to the bike.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:15 AM
tcatman02
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

adrenaline helps

Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,833 Likes on 8,588 Posts

The first time I tried to load my Dyna by myself on my new trailer I lost it before even going up the back of the tip trailer. I had no crash bars and the bike tipped even farther over on the back of the trailer than it would have on level ground. Plus, the front wheel was turned all the way to the right. I couldn`t lift it far enough to get leverage because the driveway way gravel, so I rigged my homemade gantry and cable hoist with soft straps and got the thing off the ground. I live out in the toolies with nobody to help me, but I managed to succeed.

Quick Reply: Dropped the bike...... ..in s l o w M o T I O N