Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire fable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

no armor all on anything at my house, i like my life better then to put the unknown on my tires

Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,111 Likes on 5,014 Posts

armorall used to have alcohol, in the formula, they have long ago removed that. it used to cause havoc on many different surfaces. there are better products to make your tires look good, black magic, ect, made for tires. as stated, use on the sidewalls only, and remember if you lean hard, you are on the sidewall, just be careful. I use it on my bike when I'm doing the big detail job, you know, the 3 beer one!!

Old 03-24-2014, 12:40 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,665 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Armor-All shouldn't be used on ANYTHING because it creates a "dependency" in certain materials--IOW, once you use it, you must continue to use it. And, just like heroin, you hafta use it more & more often. The best preservative I have found is made by Lexol & it's called "Vinylex". Kinda hard to get; the only place I have been able to get it is Ace Hardware. But, don't use it on your tires.

Now, I know there are many car tire shine products, but IMHO, they look TOO shiny & remind me of shady used car dealers that use it on their POS clunkers & jack the price up 'cause it makes the tires look "new".

For my tires--I just wipe 'em down with water; don't even need soap.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:42 PM
usmc97hd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not a fan of the shiny wet rubber look. Years ago when I had show cars I found that washing the tires with Whesleys Bleach White and then wiping them down with Windex leaves a slight shine that looks like the shine of a brand new tire. Silicone attracts dirt and makes the tire look nasty pretty quickly. For other rubber or vinyl the best thing to use to give a new look is old school aerosol lemon Pledge. Works great. Isnt slippery and wont attract dirt. Plus it smells nice!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Armor all can melt when it gets hot and run into the tread making for super slippery conditions.

I once had a buddy detail my bike and I lost all the air in the rear tire as well. Same kind of thing. I think he sued formula 2000 on teh wheels. Motorcycle wheels are not designed for this kind of stuff.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:50 PM
ChiliPepr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had great luck with
303 Aerospace Protectant 303 Aerospace Protectant
It does not leave the tire slippery.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 PM
banjoplayer2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its all been great information. Especially the paint. I didn't realize that. Thank goodness I didn't start them on heroin; I know I couldn't ride a bike with a monkey on its back! :-)

I was just using the wipes on the side walls. An I ride about 3\4 mile of gravel to get to black top. That must of helped with the slippery because fortunately I never had a slippery issue. I will however be searching out one of these other products. I agree with the too shinny look also. I always did think it was too much.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:09 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I hate that shiny/slippery stuff! If ya do use it on anything ya better keep using it.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:40 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have some pure silicone used to lubricate printing presses. Make your tire shine for 6 months.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Silicone

Originally Posted by Veekness
If you DO use Armor All on anything on your bike, NEVER spray it around anything that you would consider repainting in the future. Armor All is largely, perhaps all, I don't know, silicone. When it gets on your paint, it penetrates all the way to the metal and will cause 'fisheyes' in the new paint, even if you strip it all the way down and clean it as well as you can! Just a word to the wise. It was banned in the shop I worked in for years for this reason!
You are correct. You cannot remove it, you can only move it around. I spray lacquer, I understand fisheyes.

Quick Reply: Tire fable?