Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM
HOGILAC
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 03 Electra Glide

Evening guys..., I am looking to clear something up. I was told that the key fobs have a theft device installed. If it gets so far away from the bike the bike will stall. Is it designed to shut the bike down if someone takes off on the bike? If so, does the alarm have to be engaged for this feature to work. This is my first Harley...., not sure if my partners joking me or not. This all came about on one day I almost left home without my key fob. The joke was " your bike would have shut down" Thought I would ask..., this is how the Low Jack work on my truck.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

not on the later models...our bikes can start and run without the fob...

but when stopped cannot be restarted (unless the PIN is entered by the owner).

a few stories of Guys who started up in the garage and headed out, leaving the keys/fob on a hook...and than at the first gas stop couldn't restart

mike

Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 PM
HOGILAC
Cruiser
Default Fob

Thanks.., I guess I will look in to setting a PIN in case I need it one day. Not sure if the previous owner had one set.

Originally Posted by mkguitar
not on the later models...our bikes can start and run without the fob...

but when stopped cannot be restarted (unless the PIN is entered by the owner).

a few stories of Guys who started up in the garage and headed out, leaving the keys/fob on a hook...and than at the first gas stop couldn't restart

mike

Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've ridden all day without my alarm fob and never had an issue. Gassed up several times. Maybe I'm missing a key ingredient, but if you don't turn on the alarm, a fob or pin isn't needed. Mine is a 2006, but maybe the later models are different?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

I don't think your earlier model is set up thataway. My 2006 FLHX is not...I believe that came in for 2007 or 2008 models. Check your owners manual. If you didn't get one, find one on eBay or see if the dealer can get it. Also get a service manual if you intend to wrench on it, and I mean even to change the oil.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain

If you have an 03 and have security your fob has a button in the middle of it you have to press for a couple seconds to arm the system. Turn signals flash a couple time to confirm and a key symbol will continually flash on the dash. To disarm you hit the button twice in a couple seconds.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaAviator
If you have an 03 and have security your fob has a button in the middle of it you have to press for a couple seconds to arm the system. Turn signals flash a couple time to confirm and a key symbol will continually flash on the dash. To disarm you hit the button twice in a couple seconds.
This is right but if it is armed, it will not start. It won't let you get down the road and shut off. You don't need the fob to ride if it's disarmed, only to arm and disarm the bike.