Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New skins for the Ultra, learned something...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:11 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New skins for the Ultra, learned something...

First a gripe, then the surprise (to me). Local dealer has a weekend tire sale, 20% off of a pair of tires. So when I went back for the info, he says, 20% off tires and labor two days only. So I asked, what if I bring in tires/wheels off bike. He says 1 hour on bike, .8 hrs carry in. So I says, self, for the difference they can do it. Since there was a BBQ, wifey and I go over there and deliver bike and look around. First, the computer is slow, so we get to stand around for that, then the estimate is higher then I was quoted, so I ask, he says, oh, tires only, not labor. Since we were there and I need tires, OK? Then I go teach at an MSF class and come back, BBQ gone, and labor is $40 higher then quoted. So after some questions and haggling, get that knocked off, but the rear tire was 1.5 hours. Oh, $40 rebate too! Well, ok, but you have to mail it in, and it is a card good only at participating HD dealers, that doesn't sound like a rebate to me. My small minds says a rebate is money, not store credit. Rant off,
Annnnnyyyyway, the rear tire is a new style for the touring bikes, a 407T, that Dunlop says is new for the 2014 Street Glide and offers longer life. Since I specified black walls for the bike, I got the new style tire. Guess we will see if the claim holds true.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

remember that the Service Writer works on commission.

they more they can ding you for, the more they make.

always get a written service order with true estimate of cost.

Labor charges are based on "book" the time to do a typical job is determined in a published manual. They do not bill "real time"

stuff like shop supplies, tire disposal fee are usually correct, but tire fee should be State regulated and same as a car tire.

mike

Old 03-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuess
...Oh, $40 rebate too! Well, ok, but you have to mail it in, and it is a card good only at participating HD dealers, that doesn't sound like a rebate to me. My small minds says a rebate is money, not store credit...
You ASSUMED your definition of a rebate was the same as their definition.

One can apply this lesson to just about anything...don't assume or even think...KNOW the answer.

Hope the new tires work out well.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,844 Likes on 19,331 Posts

Getting new tires makes the whole world right ... Don't worry about the jingle ... Just be happy.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
DZLBurner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Tires do make the world right...But Don't forget that they have a "release agent" after coming out of the mold... It takes a good 50 miles to make sure their clean, and ready....