Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Monotube Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Progressive Monotube Question

I just installed a set of Progressive Monotubes and since winter is still hanging on tight around here I am unable to take it for a spin.

I do however, have a question for others that are using them; how much movement do you get when holding the front brake and pushing down on the bike while seated? I have heard folks mention “no fork dive”; mine seems to move an inch or so. Given my weight (170lbs) I used 1 preload clip in one fork and 2 in the other, to split the difference between too soft and too firm that seems to be a common theme.

Anyway, I'm just looking for more things to think about until I can actually ride again.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:17 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have monotypes but I have had my forks apart to replace my lower sliders with chrome ones. I would have to say that if your forks didn't compress some while shifting your weight on the bike then they would be so stiff it would be miserable to ride. You should always have movement of a suspension component while trying to compress them. I think your fine.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
I don't have monotypes but I have had my forks apart to replace my lower sliders with chrome ones. I would have to say that if your forks didn't compress some while shifting your weight on the bike then they would be so stiff it would be miserable to ride. You should always have movement of a suspension component while trying to compress them. I think your fine.
That's what I was thinking; just not sure what others mean by "no fork dive".

Well that, and I'm just going stir crazy waiting for global warming to kick in.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeTD3
I used 1 preload clip in one fork and 2 in the other, to split the difference between too soft and too firm that seems to be a common theme.
I've never heard of that? Where did you read that? Also it seems the amount of compression you have is normal.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I think 'no fork dive' refers to a reduced amount of dive when braking. Quite obviously we need plenty of movement, or life would be darned uncomfortable! Dive under braking is partly due to poor damping and hopefully Progressive have used a better design in their monotubes than in the stock forks.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:40 PM
72Norton
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not install different preload on the forks. They're a pair and work as a unit. I don't see any benefit and only increased stress on the stiffer fork. Seems potentially unsafe and I'd call progressive before I rode around like that.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:02 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Originally Posted by 72Norton
I would not install different preload on the forks. They're a pair and work as a unit. I don't see any benefit and only increased stress on the stiffer fork. Seems potentially unsafe and I'd call progressive before I rode around like that.
The forks act as one unit as they are tied together with a solid axle, so absolutely no worries there. In the MX industry it is common practice to use different springs and valving to achieve specific results. In fact some of the latest cutting technology incorporates one fork handling compression duties, while the other handles more of the rebound work.

So as I see it, adding an additional preload spacer is nothing to worry about.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:03 PM
littled62
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I put mine on last year I e-mailed Progressive about the clips, wanted to know if I need 2 or 3, they told me most of the time 2 works great 1 was for extra light people that ride solo all the time (under 150 lbs) 3 was very rare bike maxed out on weight, I am 255 or so and wife is 165ish and the ride is much better and almost no dive when braking but there is still movement in the front forks when I sit on it and when I hit a bump

Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
I think 'no fork dive' refers to a reduced amount of dive when braking. Quite obviously we need plenty of movement, or life would be darned uncomfortable! Dive under braking is partly due to poor damping and hopefully Progressive have used a better design in their monotubes than in the stock forks.
I hope their design is better as well! Hard to think of anything NOT being an improvement.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:04 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Isn't one clip permanently attached and then you add either one of two against that....it's been awhile.

Quick Reply: Progressive Monotube Question