Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stabil ethanol treatment

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:59 AM
Laura Stubbs
|
Stage III
Cool stabil ethanol treatment

just wondering if anyone is using the new ethanol treatment and if so how often. I ride a 13 street glide and am interested in trying it out, wanna make sure I don't have to worry about O-rings or any parts being damaged

Old 03-23-2014 | 08:17 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member

Using Sta-bil will not harm Your engine components. I've been using it for about 30yrs in my cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc. Use it monthly or when equipment is in storage. Always have fast startups.

Old 03-23-2014 | 08:53 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Been using ethanol blend gas sense 1973 and still have found no reason to use a treatment on a regularly. A bit for storage a little sea foam couple times a year.
Stable will not hurt anything. If it did there would be few motorcycle running many use it in one form or another.

Old 03-23-2014 | 09:49 AM
2010 ultra man
Tourer
Default sta-bil

using stabil is a good idea if you don't ride much. I work on small engines and ethanol is bad news.I tell everyone to use stabil all year round to prevent problems from developing. I do not add it to my scoot because I don't run ethanol gas, at least try not to and I ride a lot.

Old 03-23-2014 | 10:41 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior

I use Sea Foam for winter bike storage, the generator, and lawn equipment. Day to day riding and driving I don't worry about it.

Old 03-23-2014 | 11:05 AM
bobg03
Road Master

I think the OP is asking about the "new" sabil that is packaged as ethanol treatment as well as INSINUATING it is for fuel treatment too.

I have used stabil religiously for years in the winter months and ALSO add startron to the mix for winter.

During the summer I add a bit of ethanol treatment every other tank.

I have a friend who is good with taking apart and repairing ANY type of engine, and he strongly recommends an ethanol treatment. Seeing as he works on my vehicles, I'll take his advise.

Old 03-23-2014 | 11:21 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

We in MN have had to deal with E10 gas for a couple decades now, ever since they got rid of MTBE as an oxydizer. That said, all I ever do for any of my seasonal engines (Lawn Mower, Snow Blower, Pressure Washer, Weed Wacker, Motorcycle) is to add regular Stabil to the gas before storage. Not Stabil made for ethanol, just the regular stuff.

During the season, I don't add anything to the gas. In all these decades, I've had absolutely no fuel related problems.

For my cars, which of course run year around, I don't to anything at all to the gas. Agan no issues.

I run ethanol free gas in my boat, as it is possible under some circumstances for water in the fuel tank to cause the ethanol and gas to seperate and that can cause problems.

If it makes you feel better to use some type of ethanol treatment in your bike, go ahead, it's not terribly expensive. Or try and find if you have ethanol free gas in your area, around here all you can get is premium and it's about $0.50/gallon more than E10 Premium.

Your bike your choice.

Old 03-23-2014 | 11:32 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

I used Stabil for years, now I use Startron, both are good, don't hurt anything, might prevent something, who knows?

Old 03-23-2014 | 12:31 PM
tcatman02
Cruiser

I used SEAFOAM for years.great stuff, now STARTRON in my snowmobiles,chainsaws, lawnmowers and such and my carbs look and perform like new,no varnish or crud of any kind. My engines start right up even after long periods of not being started. On my bike I only use it maybe every 7 or 8 fill ups during the season but I make sure its well treated for the winter. I see many people have fuel related problems with this swill they sell as gas. These products (STABIL included) prevent issues that are expensive or at least tedious to rectify, I would not go without these proven products

Old 03-23-2014 | 01:14 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

What Laura's asking about is a new Sta-Bil product which is different than the old standby Sta-Bil fuel treatment. It is a formulation intended to be used with ethanol fuels.
Laura, I'm not much help either. That product is pretty new and I have just started using it. Seems to work well in the vehicles I have used it on, though.

Quick Reply: stabil ethanol treatment