Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stabil ethanol treatment

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014 | 08:46 PM
bobg03
Road Master

So has anyone figured out for sure if the "new ethanol stabil" does both the ethanol thing and prolong the fuel for winter storage?

If it's only for ethanol then you still gotta add regular stabil for storage, I find the package labeling to be vague and wonder if it does indeed do both functions.

Old 04-12-2014 | 10:16 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

every tech update class that I have attended in the last 5 years this topic has come up
and here is what every instructor has said nothing and I mean nothing will stabilize ethanol fuel seafoam stabil and mechanic in a bottle will not help anything but it will help you waste money. the fact is alcohol draws moisture and nothing can stop that short making your fuel system air tight

there are a few steps you can take to help keep the problem to a minimum
#1 never leave ethanol in anything that going to sit for more than 30 days
( most of the moco say after there studies they found ethanol fuel to have a shelf life of 45 to 60 days after mixed)
#2 when storing drain all fuel out of tank and carb and replace with non ethanol fuel you can get it anywhere they sell stihl power equipment its called motomix or trufuel and yes its 2stroke its good for storage the oil coats the tank and carb keeps it from rusting and corrosion (the shelf life of motomix is three years without adding anything)

and here is a gripe why don't we call it what it is moonshine

Old 04-12-2014 | 10:31 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

You are worrying about nothing. We have had ethanol for years. This is out of my 20 year old sears rider. That little rubber part is the actually needle seat and the float bowl gasket in good shape after soaking in 10% ethanol for 20 + years. The mower has so many hours on it has worn the float pin.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2014 | 10:15 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had all kinds of things with engines. Lots of 'em. Some sit unused for months. Others are used every day. And in all kinds of weather. I do the maintenance like change oil when recommended. Never used any additives to the gas or oil in any of them. And all work just fine. They all start. Run great. Don't burn oil. And last a lot longer than I expected. So I don't know how additives would make things better. Does anybody have any documented evidence/proof that they help?

Old 04-13-2014 | 11:23 AM
D_gyver
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bingee
I've had all kinds of things with engines. Lots of 'em. Some sit unused for months. Others are used every day. And in all kinds of weather. I do the maintenance like change oil when recommended. Never used any additives to the gas or oil in any of them. And all work just fine. They all start. Run great. Don't burn oil. And last a lot longer than I expected. So I don't know how additives would make things better. Does anybody have any documented evidence/proof that they help?
ethanol is not the problem the water it absorbs is. and nothing can stop that
a lot of ppl will tell you they use this or that and it works for them
but the truth is 85% of those ppl live in a dryer climate.
less water in the air means less problems
here's a link that explains most of the problems I know its for echo but this problem applies to all fuel systemshttp://www.echo-usa.com/Warranty/Lea...ol-Fuel-062512

Last edited by D_gyver; 04-13-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2014 | 11:38 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm one of those guys who always stored my power equipment with a full tank, usually 10% ethanol regular, with Seafoam as a stabilizer. I've never had any problems. I store my bikes with 100% premium gas/Seafoam with never any issues. For the first time, I ran my snowblower dry after adding a touch of Startron. Startron has a long shelf life and claims to stabilize gas for two years which sounds pretty darn good. Sometime I may try Techron during midyear as a cleaner...

Old 04-13-2014 | 11:50 AM
D_gyver
Road Master

Originally Posted by troop
I'm one of those guys who always stored my power equipment with a full tank, usually 10% ethanol regular, with Seafoam as a stabilizer. I've never had any problems. I store my bikes with 100% premium gas/Seafoam with never any issues. For the first time, I ran my snowblower dry after adding a touch of Startron. Startron has a long shelf life and claims to stabilize gas for two years which sounds pretty darn good. Sometime I may try Techron during midyear as a cleaner...
I haven't tried techron yet but I have heard it works well for cleaning out pluged jets
don't get me wrong I like seafoam as a cleaner just not as a stabilizer