Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stabil ethanol treatment

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014 | 01:29 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer

there are a few new bottles of "ethanol treatment" bottles popping up here recently. one around here is being sold by a few more atv, small engine shops is ENZYME fuel treatment. Stabil has a ethanol specific treatment now, and of course seafoam.

Old 03-23-2014 | 02:32 PM
fourburgs
Tourer

I use the Lucas version ethanol treatment with a splash of inj. cleaner with every tank . Is it needed ? I dont know . Never had a problem so thats what I do. Stabil makes good products so use it .

Old 03-23-2014 | 03:09 PM
DGRF250
Cruiser

I have used Stable in everything I use that uses gas. At work we use water pump to pump out barges, they sometimes set for months without being started, using stable they start on the second or third pull.

Old 03-23-2014 | 03:24 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

..I am NOT a fan of putting ANY additives in my bike...UNLESS I don't plan to ride for at least 6 months..( that ain't gonna happen though )..totally unnecessary..will it hurt anything to put additives in?..probably not..but I have better things to do with my money,(hasn't failed in 35 years of riding)...as far as small engines?...anyone who stores a lawnmower/trimmer/chain saw?..etc..with gas in it, is NUTS...put a little stabil in at end of season, and RUN THE DAMN THING DRY!...

Old 03-23-2014 | 03:41 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

I think the Stabil ethanol treatment would be of most benefit in an older bike or car that had fuel system components which could be damaged by ethanol. I have a '62 Thunderbird and if I had to put gas with ethanol in it I would definitely be using the ethanol treatment.

All modern bikes and cars are built with fuel systems that are ethanol tolerant so it shouldn't be an issue. For long-term winter storage though the ethanol treatment wouldn't hurt. I've been using the regular Stabil in all my vehicles for winter storage for many years and it's a great product.

Old 03-23-2014 | 04:44 PM
DGRF250
Cruiser

Working on the MS river a pump can be needed at a moments notice, being able to store pumps with gas in them can be a life saver. Call me nuts if you want but we don't have the time to add gas when we need them quick. I live in New Orleans where we have storms that can knock out power, I like the luxury of having gas in my generator ready to go when i need it. Turn on gas, choke, pull, power.

Old 03-23-2014 | 04:45 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I've used the Stabil/Ethanol Mix and it seems to help, especially with the lawn equipment.

Old 03-23-2014 | 05:41 PM
H B
Novice

Yes, I've been using it. Ethanol free gas has gotten hard to find around here. My mileage seems to be a little better and no more white "rust" on filler. I really don't think its necessary on anything newer. I just run it for peace of mind.

Old 03-23-2014 | 05:50 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

I use the blue marine grade stabil whenever I'm forced to buy E 10, which is not very often I've got a regular source of 93 Octane non-ethanol. Check out www.pure-gas.org they have a user updated database for all 50 states and Canada.

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:59 PM
garsam
Advanced

I always add 1 oz. of the Lucas ethanol fuel treatment to every tank full if I'm close to home (Always buy my gas from the same station near by) Just for peace of mind. On the road I don't worry about it. I ran pure methanol in my race car for 12 yrs. or so. We had to rebuild our carbs many times due to the corrosive effects of the alcohol on the aluminum. Sometimes we would drop the float bowl and find a gummy like substance inside. Not what you want! Alcohol has no lubricating properties and absorbs water. Needless to say both are bad for engine internals. It also tends to dry out rubber o rings and gaskets. Any engine that is going to sit for a while should have a stabil type additive added to the fuel tank and run thru the fuel system. just MHO.

Quick Reply: stabil ethanol treatment