Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short guys with apes ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Powertrip240
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short guys with apes ???

I'm looking for a little help in deciding what size ape hangers I should put on my '07 RK. I'm a short guy, 5'6". I've decided on the Carlini Gangster apes. My question is should I go with 12" or 14"? I want my hands at shoulder height. I've heard the Carlini Gangsters measure out differently than other apes. Some say they are taller, some say they are shorter.

I've also read alot of post of guys saying they wish they had bought taller bars, i.e. bought 12's, wish they had bought 14's, or, bought 14's, wish they had bought 16's... So I am trying to get the right size the first time.

So are there any "vertically challenged" guys like myself, who are riding with apes, specifically, Carlini Gangsters, who can help me decide what size I should get?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 AM
hdmoose16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 2 cents here but the right height can vary, people have different builds, someone the same height might have a longer torso, so shoulder height would be higher, or vice versa. Maybe try your best to measure the height, get a couple buddies to help, sit on the bike in your natural riding position and hold your hands where you want them, then get someone to measure up, be sure to check the exact rise of the bars you want, I have 12" Yaffe's but they measure more like 14", I'm not sure how the Carlini's measure out. Best of luck in your ape hunt.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Powertrip240
I'm looking for a little help in deciding what size ape hangers I should put on my '07 RK. I'm a short guy, 5'6". I've decided on the Carlini Gangster apes. My question is should I go with 12" or 14"? I want my hands at shoulder height. I've heard the Carlini Gangsters measure out differently than other apes. Some say they are taller, some say they are shorter.

I've also read alot of post of guys saying they wish they had bought taller bars, i.e. bought 12's, wish they had bought 14's, or, bought 14's, wish they had bought 16's... So I am trying to get the right size the first time.

So are there any "vertically challenged" guys like myself, who are riding with apes, specifically, Carlini Gangsters, who can help me decide what size I should get?
Given your height, I would recommend 12" which will keep the bars at shoulder height. 14" bars will put the grips above your shoulders and closer to eye level. Carlini Gangster Apes run tall -- maybe 1/2" above stated height. FYI, Carlini Flying Apes run really tall (1 1/2" above stated height). SJ Ron

Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdmoose16
Just my 2 cents here but the right height can vary, people have different builds, someone the same height might have a longer torso, so shoulder height would be higher, or vice versa. Maybe try your best to measure the height, get a couple buddies to help, sit on the bike in your natural riding position and hold your hands where you want them, then get someone to measure up, be sure to check the exact rise of the bars you want, I have 12" Yaffe's but they measure more like 14", I'm not sure how the Carlini's measure out. Best of luck in your ape hunt.
Yeah - What he said!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Simonizer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed, going to do my seat first. Good luck, let us know how you make out with them.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:39 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm 5'6" and while this was on my '02 RK I put on some 12" Chubby's. Best mod for comfort I did on that bike. Hand were shoulder height and I could pull them back slightly. Loved 'em. Different bike but your headed in the right direction.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im 5'7" and i sat on a RK with 12", 14" and 16" standard type apes. i would go with 14" on a RK and 12.5" on a Ultra or SG. Those sizes are at top of shoulders. 12" on a RK and 10" on a Ultra or SG are right below my shoulders.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:25 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm 5'7 and agree with the previous post. I have 12.5 Wild One's on my Ultra but would go with 14's on a Road King.

Attached Thumbnails Short guys with apes ???-p1030652.jpg  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a riding buddy that is 5'6" and he has 18s on his bike, and they are at shoulder height when he isn't slouching. he is on an 05 king with a sundowner .

Old 03-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

5' 7" and went with 12.5s on RK. Some days I think about 14s, but happy with my choice. If you are moding your seat, do that first for sure. There is a difference as well if you are running a back rest or not (at least for me).

Also I pull mine back pretty frequently especially when touring. When the 12.5s are perfectly lined up with the forks they are spot on for me.

At the end of the day, worry less about the look then the comfort factor.

Quick Reply: Short guys with apes ???