Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky TBW after WO513 Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Sticky TBW after WO513 Install

Had dealer install WO513's and new Avon Air Cushion grips. Before I left the shop, I determined the throttle was sticking. After checking the install, they said they couldn't fix it, and I told them to re-intall the "old" grips (HD Magnums).

After leaving the dealer, I found that although the throttle wasn't "sticking", it was "sticky" or creaky. No smooth transition like a push/pull cable, and it's more annoying than anything else. Anybody have a fix for this? And I've never replaced grips on a TBW bike and I'm concerned about jacking up delicate electronics in/on the handlebar.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:27 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,368 Likes on 2,542 Posts

you could try loosening the switch 'clamshell' and sliding it toward the outside of the bar about 1/32''. if you push the throttle handgrip on too far, it will bind.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I had this happen twice. Problem was in the actual TBW. No loosening or greasing or spacing fixed it. I suspect it can happen when the internals of the TBW are pulled on too much while threading the cables though the bars internally. Just my guess, but had to replace the TBW unit both times. Pull the grip off, then take a small pliers and turn the little TBW gear at the end of the grip. If that is sticky, it's in the unit. Probably have to replace it. If that rotates smoothly, then it's a clearance issue on the clamshell etc.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Deadwood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue as Gunnysgt as above.

Tried everything like greasing etc but the only cure was replacing the TBW control. I would suggest getting the SE TBW unit as it does away with the little green connector which is where most problems come in.

Attached Thumbnails Sticky TBW after WO513 Install-twist_sensor.jpg  
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll try adjusting the clamshell first. But if that doesn't work, can I pull that sensor unit without removing the bars? The wiring is in the bars now.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 AM
sacchino
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it happened to me twice, when i replaced the grips and when i intalled new bars....spray some grease and u'll be fine

Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

No you don't have to remove the bars to replace the TBW. For the sake of ease, it would be nice if it was simply a grease issue. The ones I had to replace did not return smoothly at all. This is a definite safety issue. I went to the dealer after installing both sets of bars and turned a throttle on a new one then went and turned my throttle. What a difference !! I didn't think I pulled on the wires too much but it DOES happen. The new one snapped back easily into position mine felt "gritty", and did not. I devised a way to pull the new ones in by pulling on the TBW as a unit and not on the wiring, this can be a challenge because of the small green connector that attaches the TBW to the wiring. Two fixes, one, get a screamin eagle one that has no connector and is longer or two, I took a piece of shrink tube and covered the connector to give it more strength, both worked. Even with those fixes, you need to be real careful about yanking on those TBW wires, lots of silicone spray helped as well.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

OK. Took the grip off, and it is obviously the grip sensor/TBW knurled piece at the end of the bar that is "stiff" and "creaky". Not enough to hang up, just enough to be annoying. Smooth application of the throttle is near impossible. I sprayed a little electrical grade lubricant in/on the sensor, and there was slight improvement, but not enough. Keep in mind, this is new to me...That's the first time I took that grip off myself.

So, it appears that the TBW sensor unit needs replacing. Again, I'm a little confused. With the bars internally wired, can I just pull that sensor unit out, unplug it and push the new one back in? Can it be that easy? Just for kicks, I was able to pull the unit out about an 1/8th of an inch, just to make sure it wasn't stuck, but I was concerned about pulling wires out and jacking the whole works up.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

There was issue with Avon grips sticking give them a call. If you have stock grips pop throttle side on to see if it sticks.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by acchd
There was issue with Avon grips sticking give them a call. If you have stock grips pop throttle side on to see if it sticks.
??? I already determined it's not a grip issue, it's the TBW sensor. You can turn it by hand with the grips off. Trying to figure out how to replace that without removing the bars.

Quick Reply: Sticky TBW after WO513 Install