Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

covering plates

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014 | 09:44 AM
slammed05fatty
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default covering plates

meant to post in the off topic thread. feel free to move sorry

why does so many ppl cover or do something is make their plate hidden in pix of their bike, cars, truck or what ever it is? ts someting i have never understood. guess what, its exposed to the world every day when you drive. i have never heard of a situation that started from somebody getting a tag number off the net... seems like awaste of time to me. am i missing something?

Last edited by slammed05fatty; 03-21-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2014 | 10:05 AM
gize
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
why does so many ppl cover or do something is make their plate hidden in pix of their bike, cars, truck or what ever it is? ts someting i have never understood. guess what, its exposed to the world every day when you drive. i have never heard of a situation that started from somebody getting a tag number off the net... seems like awaste of time to me. am i missing something?
I'm not sure, but I imagine it has something to do with forums being somewhat more of an intimate setting and the possibility of someone pissed off knowing exactly where you live. It's surprising how many ways a person can get access to dmv records. I used to work for a car dealership and if we paid 20 bucks we had access to any plate and its accompanying residence it resided at. Not to mention how many LEO/employees can simply pop it in a computer.

Old 03-21-2014 | 10:38 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

big city paranoids? guilty?

and hide their location

Old 03-21-2014 | 11:13 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gize
I'm not sure, but I imagine it has something to do with forums being somewhat more of an intimate setting and the possibility of someone pissed off knowing exactly where you live.
Give me a link where I can look someone's plate up.

I call bullshit.

LEO's, yes, they can.

But if it were that easy, they can track you down after they see your plate at WalMart...

OR

They could just follow you home.

If someone wants to come track me down from California or Vermont or wherever, I'm in San Antonio, Texas....

Old 03-21-2014 | 11:23 AM
jmcdermit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Internet people are a lot creepier than real world people. On this forum, some people share pictures of their garages, houses, cars etc. In the real world out driving around people do not see that riders other material items and may not choose them to target for something such as burglary and theft. People online may see something they like in a picture and use the plate number to research more about a person to scam them or what-not. My plate says 14 HD...........come get some suckas

Old 03-21-2014 | 11:33 AM
slammed05fatty
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmcdermit
Internet people are a lot creepier than real world people. On this forum, some people share pictures of their garages, houses, cars etc. In the real world out driving around people do not see that riders other material items and may not choose them to target for something such as burglary and theft. People online may see something they like in a picture and use the plate number to research more about a person to scam them or what-not. My plate says 14 HD...........come get some suckas
now that i have ur plate number, im coming for your power wheels. ill have it by sun up lol

Old 03-21-2014 | 11:55 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,610 Likes on 985 Posts

FWIW pictures taken with phones include GPS coordinates of where the picture was taken. How's that for telling people where you live?

Old 03-21-2014 | 12:03 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive wondered the same thing, if you look at google maps in street view every license plate and facial picture has been distorted

Old 03-21-2014 | 01:23 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
FWIW pictures taken with phones include GPS coordinates of where the picture was taken. How's that for telling people where you live?
If that's so, tell me where this pic was taken.

Taken with my Samsung Galaxy Note II in my garage...
With my toolboxes in the background...

AND my license plate visible.

Old 03-21-2014 | 01:30 PM
slammed05fatty
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
If that's so, tell me where this pic was taken.

Taken with my Samsung Galaxy Note II in my garage...
With my toolboxes in the background...

AND my license plate visible.

i have saw this proven true, the average person cant pull it up but its out there. i have a computer guru friend that showed me all kinds of things you can find out with pix snd stuff like that. facebook was crazy

Quick Reply: covering plates