Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Personalized License Tag for my 14 SGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM
tagalongtrouble
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Personalized License Tag for my 14 SGS

Well diff states call these by different names, here in MA., they are called vanity plates. Like anything, in this fubar state, every thing is a struggle. Took me 5 friken months to renew my LTC ( Licence to carry concealed) and getting a special vehicle tag takes almost the same. ONLY 5 characters. If #'s included, they have to come first. Then they gotta make sure no dirty words implied or secret codes whatever i like mine.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM
ChiliPepr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to renew my LTC In August, guess I should start soon...

Like the plate, I think I am just going to go with my initials.

Don't forget, you also cannot misspell a word using "Q"s, so "LQQK" is not valid either.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 PM
tagalongtrouble
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiliPepr
I need to renew my LTC In August, guess I should start soon...

Like the plate, I think I am just going to go with my initials.

Don't forget, you also cannot misspell a word using "Q"s, so "LQQK" is not valid either.
The cop shops are brutal. plan ahead if u want a smooth renewal.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

OK, but A$$H@T would've been cooler.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tagalongtrouble
Well diff states call these by different names, here in MA., they are called vanity plates... ONLY 5 characters. If #'s included, they have to come first.
Not so. If #'s included they come last. From the MA RMV website:

Vanity plates can be ordered for private passenger, commercial, motorcycle, livery, bus, camper or antique vehicles. All vanity plates must begin with two letters. The plate can be no more than six characters, or a maximum of five characters for motorcycle plates. Vanity plates cannot have letters and numbers intermixed. For example: "MY65MG."

Got my plate in less than 2 months.

Last edited by soos; 03-19-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to disagree about using your initials for personalized/vanity plate.
You pay for the ability for something different, it just looks so lame with 3 letters.
Check out the March cover of "Thunder Press". It's the special plates issue. A full page of vanity plates.
You won't get there with only your initials.
I had three of mine on the issue a few years ago.
Two were for the bikes and one was for my 4-wheeler.
Originally was for the '57 Chevy but I sold it and have it on another truck.

3NOZX3S

Flip it upside down to see what it reads.
Better than my initials.

Last edited by gusotto; 03-20-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 PM
TheLazyC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine...

Attached Thumbnails Personalized License Tag for my 14 SGS-screen-shot-2014-03-20-at-11.17.14-pm.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Really? What if your name is Laurence Quentin Quilliam King?!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:43 AM
ChiliPepr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
Really? What if your name is Laurence Quentin Quilliam King?!
Be tough fitting that on a plate!

We also cannot have something like "86BMW"

But, here is what Mass has to say about it...
Vanity Plate Requirements:
1. All vanity plates must start with at least two letters.
2. Passenger, Camper, Livery, Bus, and Commercial vanity plates may contain a maximum of six characters (letters or numbers) and a minimum of two characters. Vanity plates for antique vehicles may contain a maximum of four characters and a minimum of two characters. Motorcycle vanity plates may contain a maximum of five characters and a minimum of two characters.
3. Numbers cannot be used in the middle of a plate; they must come at the end. For example, AAA222 would be an acceptable Passenger vanity plate; AAA22A would not be acceptable. The first number used cannot be a "0." 4. The letters "I," "O," "Q," and "U" can ONLY be used as part of a word that is clearly defined and correctly spelled. For example, "LQQK" would not be an acceptable registration number because it is not a correctly spelled word.
5. No periods, spaces, or punctuation marks are allowed.
6. Letter and/or number combinations that convey an offensive message or appear to duplicate an existing registration plate are not permitted (see reverse side for criteria).
They also go on with ...
Plate Criteria:

1. The Registrar will not knowingly issue a requested Vanity registration plate containing a group of letters or combination of numbers and letters if the plate is either offensive or duplicative of an existing registration. Specifically, the Registrar will not issue a requested combination of letters and numbers or letters alone if:
¤ Such combination is vulgar in that it is in poor taste or is degrading or is considered a profanity, including a swear or curse word, not usually displayed in the community for general viewing
¤ Such combination is derogatory in that it disparages or belittles someone or something
¤ Such combination is obscene in that it refers to a sexual body part, a term for or most closely associated with a sex act, or the availability for sex
¤ Such combination is an expression of contempt, ridicule, or superiority of a race, religion, deity, ethnic heritage, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or political affiliation
¤ Such combination is an expression of “fighting words” designed to inflame passions and possibly lead to a violent confrontation
¤ Such combination would appear to duplicate a registration already issued

2. The Registrar may reject a requested combination for other reasons if she reasonably determines that issuance of the requested combination would be inappropriate as a state-issued registration plate.

3. It is irrelevant whether offensive material is communicated when reading the vanity plate from left-to-right or from right-to-left, when viewed through a rear view mirror, or whether it is in a foreign language or in a code which only a small segment of the community may be able to readily decipher.

4. The Registrar reserves the right to recall a vanity plate that has been issued, even if such registration and plate have been renewed. If the Registrar becomes aware that a group of letters or a combination of numbers and letters appears to be offensive in nature, or that a plate appears to duplicate an existing registration, this will be sufficient cause for recall.
See the fun stuff we have to deal with here!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Be tough fitting that on a plate!
True, but LQQK might just fit.......

Quick Reply: Personalized License Tag for my 14 SGS