Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best speakers without adding amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Rico Rose
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best speakers without adding amp?

Did a search about speakers and every time someone asks about which are the best there are answers like you have to add an amp and do this and that to get the best sounds and don't bother adding just speakers. Well if I want the best sound I would stay home and listen to my home stereo. Going down the road at 50-70 mph nothing will sound perfect.

I just want to upgrade the speakers for about $100 to $150 to get a little better (not perfect) sound. All agree the OEM speakers are not that good and can use a little boost.

Looking for 2ohm Hawg Wired or Hogtunes or whatever you have to recommend and I am not going to add an amp.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:34 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Get some JBL/Infinity 2ohm 6.5' co-ax speakers and Arc/Scosche speaker adapters. About as good as there is with the stock head unit. Polk mm651s are also popular but 3ohm.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 03-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:54 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

The reason you hear that is because it's true. Not to get perfect sound, but just to get decent sound. The advice comes from guys that have already spent the money you're about to spend and then turned around and spent it again to get an amp and some nice 6.5" speakers.

If you've got yourself convinced that just replacing the factory speakers with some Hawg Wired ones will satisfy you, I've got some sitting on the shelf and would make you a deal.

Guys aren't trying to be audio elitists, it's just a fact that tooling down the road at 70 mph it's nice to have sound loud and clear vs. loud and distorted. The sound isn't studio perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd consider it the bare minimum and what should have come from the factory in the first place.

I agree, spending money trying to get studio quality sound on a bike is nuts. Just think about the advice given by those that have been where you're at. We all thought the same thing you're thinking right now.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:03 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I went with Hogtune speakers a few years back (no amp). I know it's all subjective, but I crank the chit out of them, and they sound just fine to me

Yes, nice improvement over stock.

Last edited by run1fsr; 03-17-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sound quality is relative. I went with biketronics 6.5" speaker and amp kit, and it is loud and clear, but it's still not great sounding compared to a car audio system of similar equipment. The HK radio is a big part of the problem, it doesn't produce very clean sound, has crappy equalizer options, among other things. and the only good solution is to replace it.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i put in mm651s in at the end of the season last year and while they sounded tons better. i just bought the pbr300x2 to crank em up this year. nothing wrong with doing it in stages.

hardest part is that if your not amping them you need to stick with closer to a 2 ohm speaker which there is less selection of. if you are amping them immediately your choices open up exponentially as they will get enough power regardless.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Before I added my amp I was running the Harley boom speakers and they sounded great. Sound even better with the amp, but if your looking for an inexpensive speaker to try the classifieds have them all the time. Never tried any other speaker before the amp so I'm just comparing to stock.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
I went with Hogtune speakers a few years back (no amp). I know it's all subjective, but I crank the chit out of them, and they sound just fine to me

Yes, nice improvement over stock.
Should note that my speakers are 4ohm, as required with the older radios. Not sure if that has much impact or not. Last season I also tied in Sirius XM, as I tired of messing with my MP3 player.

Last edited by run1fsr; 03-17-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

The HD Booms are fine with no amp. Just put em in, no adapters no nothing and they sound fine.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rico Rose
Did a search about speakers and every time someone asks about which are the best there are answers like you have to add an amp and do this and that to get the best sounds and don't bother adding just speakers. Well if I want the best sound I would stay home and listen to my home stereo. Going down the road at 50-70 mph nothing will sound perfect.

I just want to upgrade the speakers for about $100 to $150 to get a little better (not perfect) sound. All agree the OEM speakers are not that good and can use a little boost.

Looking for 2ohm Hawg Wired or Hogtunes or whatever you have to recommend and I am not going to add an amp.

Thanks in advance.
Polk.........marine, used them before and they are great.

Quick Reply: Best speakers without adding amp?