Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coolers Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Coolers Again

I purchased a 07 Ultra which is due in May. Was planning on installing an oil cooler before I picked it up. Based on what I have read on the forum concerning oil coolers, thereare mixed feelings whether the oil cooler helps or hinders the engine. Would like to hear from anyone who has installed an oil cooler and what their thoughts are.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain
Default RE: Oil Coolers Again

I installed an HD oil cooler on my 2000 Fatboy in 2001 after an overheating experience during a traffic jam. I never had a repeat experience so I never knew for sure if it helped (32K miles). I also used Syn motor oil. Ifit isinstalled aspart of taking delivery it will be covered under the warranty. As a point of interest all air cooled VWs and Porsche's have oil coolers as standard equipment. I have added an oil temp Gage to my SG and I am watching the temp to determine if I'll add an oil cooler. There is a common misconception that oil coolers do nothing when the bike is stopped; the truth is they are less effective, but the actual advantage comes from a lower oil temp at the start of the stop, which may allow you more time before the total oil volume reaches a critical temp. A member of another form posted this a couple of years ago:

"Okay, I know that there’s a lot of controversy about whether or not OIL COOLERs are necessary, and I’m not going to give my opinion on whether they are, or aren’t. I thought I’d share a little test that I did on my FXSTDI last night.
Ambient temperature was 92F. I measured, with a type K thermocouple, the temperature of the oil entering the OIL COOLER, and the temperature of the oil exiting the cooler. I did this in my garage to make sure that there was no air flowing through the cooler to simulate being completely stopped in traffic.
The temperature of the oil exiting the cooler was between 10.2 to 10.7 degrees cooler than the oil entering the cooler. So, even with no air flowing through the cooler, it still will help to lower the oil temperature. Whether or not that is a benefit worth the cost is up to you."

FBL

Old 03-23-2007, 03:41 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info Dave. Getting a recommendation or a non recommendation from the dealer on installing an oil cooler is like pulling teeth.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I run the HD super premium. I have a 103SE and need the cooling during the summer here in the south. The cooler does nothing in traffic (stop/go), I will overheat and pull off to let cool down. The cooler needs air flow. By the way, the cooler does not convect heat enough to cool the engine. It hooks up to ahigh and low pressure side of the pump. High side flows into the cooler and low side feeds to the engine. There is enough oil passing through by the bypass valve that in traffic does not allow enough time for the cooler to convect heat and lower oiltemperature. Anyone who says it lowers the temp in stop/go traffic doesn't know what they are talking about.Yes you get additional oil capacity of about 1 qt.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't run myHarley without one. I also have them on my pickup truck and my Jeep Wrangler.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Having the Super Premium added to my Road Glide, just makes sense to have one IMO

Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
alexcue
Road Master

I added one on my 07 Ultra. Seems to run cooler, by my seat of that pants feel (or is that thigh?).

Anyway the gauge consistently shows it running 220-235 deg. When i didn't have it it could get as high as 269 at the gauge. However, i did a stage 1 along with Syn 3 and the cooler. So i can't say how much is due to the cooler.

It's just peace of mind for me.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:56 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Most of my travel will be in the midwest and Texas where the temps are a little hotter. Guess I will go ahead and have it installed as planned.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
GhostBagger
Tourer

My 06 SE Ultra came with oil cooler and SYN3 as standard so I cannot comment on effect on heat reduction. One thing that is a real pain is the amount of dirt that the oil cooler picks up from being mounted low and directly behind the front wheel. On occasion the thing has got so clogged that it can hardly be having any effect at all.

GhostBagger.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I live in Arizona, where 120 degree heat is the standard from July - September. Haven't had an oil cooler on any of my bikes (probably didn't have the option on my Buells, but didn't put one on my Lowrider or my Glide), and haven't had an problems with overheating. I do run synthetic oil in my bike, and it certainly gets warm. As long as your service your bike at regular intervals, it shouldn't be that big an issue.

I haven't seen too many bikes with oil coolers on them. I have several friends that work (or worked) at HD dealers, and none of them have coolers (and if there's any group that gets a hookup for upgrades, it's typically those guys!). The only bike I can think of with a cooler on it is a buddy's, he has an older 1987 Softtail, and he moved here a year or so ago from North Dakota. The oil cooler was on the bike when he bought it, well before he moved to AZ.

Quick Reply: Oil Coolers Again